3. Strange things happen

"Oh, and I wanna ask you a favor...take your clothes off." Berlin said. "I'm giving you the same overalls that I'm wearing. So you're more comfortable" Nairobi and Oslo passed out orange overalls, water, and sandwiches. Some dude named Arutro starts talking to Berlin about people with heart conditions and who are pregnant. Is he stupid? Or brave?

"Who do you think you are, fucking Gandhi?" Denver asked, walking over.

"No..." Arturo was shivering.

"Denver, relax, he's a friend." Berlin said. "We share a fondness for movies." Berlin left. Denver then walks in front of Arturo and pulls a gun to his head, making all of the hostages gasp. Arturo puts his hands up not saying anything. Denver flips the gun around so the grip is facing Arturo.

"Take the gun," He says. "I'm not asking you to take the gun, I'm ordering you. Take the gun." Arturo lets out a strand of ples but Denver just tells him to take the gun. Arturo finally grabs the grip of the gun and points it at the floor. "Now point it at me." "I said point the gun at me. Damnit it's a fucking order. Point the gun at me. Here. Good." He grips the gun and points it at his chest. "Now, shoot me."

"What?" Arturo asked, shocked. 

"Come on shoot me" Denver then pulls out a gun and points it at Arturo's head. "You either do it or I'm gonna do it. You got ten seconds. One, two, three, four, five,-" Denver speeds up the counting "six, seven, eight, nine-" Arturo then pulls the trigger rapidly as all the hostages scream, but no bullets come out. Denver laughed. "They're fake, Arturito. It's a gift. Take it."

"Alright, we are going to start handing out fake weapons." Berlin told the hostages. "In a few hours we will be needing your cooperation. And as you witnessed all you have to do is obey us. Just trust what we say, and obey us." Berlin stops for a few seconds before turning around. "Come on get undressed." People immediately start getting undressed.

~time skip~

It was lunchtime and you and Denver had just finished passing out sandwiches. You saw Alison Parker picking at her sandwich. You walked over.

"It isn't poisoned." You said. Alison jumped. "All the others are eating it and they aren't dead."

"Yet." Alison hissed. "Stay away from me you monster." She scooted away. "You're just like the rest of them. Evil. Bad. A monster." You felt hurt. But, who could blame her? She was innocent. You and the others weren't. "I hate you all."

Flashback

You were three and visiting your parents in jail.

"Get us out of here y/n." Your father demanded.

"I can't." You said.

"Yes you can." Your mom said. "Get us out of here y/n." You shook your head.

"I-I can't... I-I'm sorry." Your dad banged on the glass separating you from your parents. His eyes were filled with anger and his jaw was clenched.

"GET US OUT OF HERE Y/N!" He screamed. He looked like a crazed maniac. Tears started streaming down your face.

"DON'T CRY, YOU WIMP!" Your mom yelled through the glass. "SET YOUR PARENTS FREE! NOW!" The guards ran in from the yelling and dragged your parents away.

"FREE US Y/N!" Your father yelled.

"I HATE YOU!" You screamed back. That was the day you ran away from the orphanage. That was the day you became the person you were now. And the person you left behind, they were dead. The person who would cry when they stub their toe, the nice one, the one who shared, the innocent one. The child. y/n l/n.

End of flashback

I won't cry. You thought. I won't. Alison was watching you.

"Monster." She repeated. You squated down in front of her.

"Do I look like a monster to you?" You asked. She shook her head.

"But you are." She hissed.

"Say that to a three year old who just had her heart broken." You said.

"You can't feel pain or fear." Alison said. "You make other people fear."

"When I was three years old my parents went to jail and left me in an orphanage." You said. "When I visited them they shouted at me to let them out." The memory was painful. "That's all they ever talked about. Getting out of prison. And they wanted me to do it. A three year old." Your sad eyes met Alison's. "I always envied the people who had a home. Who had parents. I ran away after I talked to them. I've been on the run ever since I was three. And the worst thing you privileged kids have experienced is having your phone away." You stood up. "Eat your sandwich. Or I'll give it to a homeless person. They need it more than you do." You walked away, passing Denver.

"Sokovia, wait." He said. You keeped walking. "Sokovia!" He ran after you, finally catching up to you near an empty room. He grabbed your wrist and pulled you into the room. "Are you okay?" There was true concern in his voice.

"Yes." You lied shakely.

"I know you're lying." Denver said.

"What are you going to do about it?" You demanded. Denver pulled you into a hug. It caught you by surprise. No one has hugged you since... since forever. You hugged him back and tears began to slip uncontrollable out of your eyes.

"It's okay." Denver said softly. "You can cry." Your body began to shake and Denver hugged you tighter. "I'm here." He said. "I'm here." I'm here. You looked up at him and smiled.

"Thank you." You said. Denver smiled back.

"Anytime."