Chapter 8

Cole stood there in disbelief. "Excuse me?" He asked. The other woman got frustrated.

"You heard her, now give me my child back," She demanded, glaring at Cole. The suited lady sighed.

"Don't mind Mrs. Cook, she just misses her daughter," She explained. Mrs. Cook crossed her arms and rolled her eyes, but stayed silent. The man- Mr. Cook, Cole assumed- patted her arm and smiled at the earth elemental. The teen was unnerved by the smile; it didn't sit right with him.

"Alright, I'll bring her out. Just give me a second," Cole spoke to the agent, then shut the door.

As he walked to the game room, he tried to process the information he'd just received. He leaned against the doorframe . Everyone looked up.

"Who was it Cole?" Vania asked, and as Cole looked at her, tears formed in the corners of his eyes. He couldn't speak much, but he managed to choke out:

"L-lilly's being taken away." Then he slide down to the floor. A tear leaked out of his eye, and the others rushed over to him.

"What do you mean?" Pixal questioned.

"There's an agent at the door, they found Lilly's parents and they want her back." More tears streamed down his face as he attempted to keep his composure. Vania let out a short gasp and wrapped her arms around Cole's neck, silently sobbing into his shoulder. Nya's eyes also glistened with unshed tears, and everyone else looked distraught. Everyone but..... Kai? While the others prepared themselves to give Lilly back, Kai simply watched with no emotion and even asked:

"So, should I get her then?" Before walking out anyway when he didn't receive a reply. After a couple of minutes, everyone had calmed down enough to speak and Kai had re-entered with Lilly holding his hand. He also held a bag with the other hand. "Alright guys, I packed her things up. She's good to go." Kai's unexpectedly cheery voice sliced through the atmosphere like the katana he used in battle. This caused everyone to glare at him in disgust and disbelief.

"Wait, where am I going?" Lilly squeaked, looking around at everyone. The team froze; they were going to have to tell her. Cole stood up and walked up to the young girl. He knelt down to her height and spoke softly.

"Lilly, your parents have come to get you. You're going home with them." Lilly listened with confusion.

"What's a parent?" She innocently asked. The teens were shocked. Lilly was at least 5 years old; surely she should know what parents were.

"They're they people who look after you and care for you," Cole answered. Lilly's eyes brightened and she gleefully asked:

"Like you guys?"

Everyone watched as Cole stiffened. He pulled her into a hug and closed his eyes.

"I wish Lilly, I wish." He then rose from the floor with Lilly still in his arms and walked to the door, the others following. As he opened it, they were greeted with the displeased looks of the couple. Next to them was the calm face of the agent.

"Thank you, Mr. Brookstone. Her parents are extremely happy to have her back," The woman said. Cole nodded and placed Lilly on the ground, while Kai gave the bag to Mr. Cook. Mrs. Cook kneeled down and held her hands out to Lilly.

"Come here Wendy," She tried to coax Lilly to come towards her. Lilly just clung to Cole's leg, sniffling into his jeans.

"Don't send me away with them," She whimpered, reminding Cole of the small fragile child he had found her as a few weeks ago. He prised her off his leg and handed her to the now annoyed Mrs. Cook.