4.1

The sun was high, hot in the sky, as the desert continued through many miles in front of them. They had to get out of the car, continue on foot, and take another path so they wouldn't meet up with Harrow/ Ammit's followers.

Marc and Mira tried not to speak with each other, but they had different reasons.

Marc didn't want to speak with her so he wouldn't attach himself. He couldn't afford it. And besides, she was in love with Steven, an alter of him. Almost as another person. And that made him quite irritated in fact with her.

Mira on the other way was still confused and could notice the cold treatment given him. Now she could notice it clearly, from his speech and gestures to his reactions and preferences. They couldn't be any more different and yet look the same.

And she didn't know how to feel about it.

Mira loved Steven, she knew that there wasn't a single moment where she wouldn't doubt it. She started to feel that way in London, and this feeling only developed since then.

But Marc...what happened between them? She believed that he hated her. He had to. After all, he mistreated, and pushed her away, besides lying to her face, saying that he was his other alter, faking his true identity.

They stopped at an old campsite with sone car but no one around, just some empty tents along with the territory. Marc finally, since they left, turned to her:

-Let's check for supplies.-He indicated, and she nodded in agreement.-Follow me.

They both entered one of the tents, Mira looked between the shelves, while Marc looked on tables, on the ground, recipients, anything else, but mostly they could find meanwhile was dust.

He looked at her silhouette as she examined one of the shelves, she was quite tall but not enough to reach a rope on the top. He came from behind her, and, with his hand, shook a bit the shelf, making the rope slowly fall and drop on her hands. He was shorter than Mira, but, this time was wiser (which is quite rare to happen too), maybe the anxiety came on the way.

She looked at him surprised, and before she could say "thank you", he interrupted:

-You look scared.-He relied on his body on the shelf, crossing his arms.

In a mirror on the other side of the room, he could see Steven watching them.

-I'm not.-She replied, walking around the room, searching for more tools.

-Well you should be-He was saying that not just for her, but Steven as well.- Without Khonshu, there's no more suit, no more healing, no more power.

-That's why I asked for you come, innit'? Then, let's continue searching.

Steven held a laugh, Marc lifted one eyebrow, but he quite enjoyed whenever she gave him a sharp answer in return.

-There's still time.-He told her. She looked at him confused.- to give up, if you want to.

She walked towards him feeling her ego quite offended.

-Do you think I came all this way to just give up now?-She told him.

-Why insist?-He asked her- Risk everything for what? A man?

-My choices are my own, and I assure you...-She looked closely into his face, he got hypnotized by her eyes- my life will never be submissive to a man.

Then just let it go. Why bother? This shouldn't even be something of your concern.

-And why do you care so much that I stay here?-She lifted her chin- Do you despise me so much to do so?