Chapter 32: Cain

You didn't even know where you were flying and it was uncomfortable for you to trust the Mark to lead you to the place you needed to be; you didn't trust it, not for one second, especially not after seeing how it twisted people.  When you landed in the hay loft of a barn in the middle of who knows where, however, you knew that you were right in flying blind.

Bails of hay lined the walls, leaving small bits of strays lying on the ground all around the loft.  There was a devil's trap painted on the ground which normally would have been difficult to see in the dark lighting, but your eyes were beyond adjusted; in addition to that, there was a clearing of the hay over the outline of the trap, a deliberate action by the demon stuck within it.

Standing dead in the center of the trap were the two other men on the planet that shared a predicament with you, making this the most chance encounter; three people in population seven billion, all standing within the same area, in the same loft, all surrounding the one thing that made them the most powerful creatures on the planet.

Even though you knew you were powerful, you had archangel blood flowing through you along with the strength of the most influential demon to ever have existed, you knew you were nothing more than Cain. The Mark was strong, it shaded your strength, put you on the same level as Cain.  But you weren't about to let that be a negative.  Oh, no, you were going to use the fact to finally be rid of the creature that bound you to this life for as long as you lived.

Cain and Dean were facing the same direction, Dean on his knees in front of the elder demon while Cain held him by a handful of the hair on his head, the blade only inches from his neck. Dean was struggling to breathe, struggling to move, and you knew that he was physically defeated—you heard the bubbling in his chest as he tried to breath through the blood pooling in his lungs, heard his heart beating fast as it tried to compensate for the wounds that had been gathered on his body.  He was defeated, weak, and he was only seconds from being destroyed entirely.

"Cain, put him down." You said, surprised at the strength in your voice, which was even more evident from Cain's quick turn of his head to look at you. Dean, too, managed to close his mouth and turn his head slightly to look at you, giving you an even better look at the blood that was dripping down from his forehead, out of his nose, from his split lip. Dean mouthed your name, his voice not strong enough to make a noise, but within seconds Cain had thrown him onto his stomach and turned toward you, pointing the First Blade directly at you as his attention was entirely diverted. 

"You're supposed to be dead."

A small wave of your hand was all it took for you to push Dean out of the devil's trap, ignoring the look of surprise on Dean's face.  You heard him mumble something, likely your name, but you ignored him and turned your focus back to the demon trapped within the circle.

"You're supposed to be dead!" He repeated, running at you but being stopped a few feet short as he tried to pass the outline of the trap.  "How the hell are you alive?"

Cain's face was enraged, and this was the first time you were actually able to see him for his physical self—oddly enough, it seemed that taking on the Mark made everyone look more normal, more human. When Cain's eyes widened as he connected things, he slowly backed up and raised the blade back up, pointing it at you.

"You can't have survived it." He said, his voice a low growl as you stepped closer to him but remained outside the devil's trip. "This Blade kills anything."

"I'm sorry to have disappointed." You said, blandly, your hands tucked into the pockets of your jeans.  "But this has gone on long enough.  Enough people have died, enough innocents have gotten dragged into this and it's about time we ended it, wouldn't you say?"