Chapter 4: A Brush with Death

What did you do?” 

You were sitting at the library table with a bottle of whiskey when the angel appeared at the head of the library, his face scrunched into a scowl and his hands both curled into fists at his waist. As soon as Castiel laid eyes on you he charged, only needing three or four strides to be standing right in front of you.

Your legs had been propped up on the library table, but with one swipe Castiel pushed your legs to the ground.  You stood, as was natural when being confronted by an angel of the Lord, but were swiped from your feet and within seconds Castiel had you by the throat, pressed against the bookshelf behind you.

“Do you have any idea what you’ve done?” He growled at you, “Do you have any idea the repercussions this holds for you, for me, for—“

He was sent flying back before he could finish speaking and the commotion of his body hitting the opposing bookshelf was enough to bring Sam running in from the kitchen.  When he arrived, breathing heavily, his tired eyes now wide with surprise, he likely only saw that Castiel was trying to stand from the ground, wiping himself off while you were leaning against the bookshelf on the other side of the library, your hands slowly rubbing the area around your throat.

“What the hell?” He asked, looking directly at you as he asked it as if you were the only one at fault.  Slightly defensive, you laughed and gestured to Castiel, who was now standing straight up, staring at you with a bitter revenge in his eye.

“Okay, before you go yelling at me, you should know that—“

“You’re in contact with that disgrace?” Castiel cut it, gesturing at you with a disgusted arm while he stared at Sam. “One time was a foolish enough decision, but twice?”

Hey,” you snapped at him, pointing an erect finger his direction.  “I helped.”

“You could have killed him.” Castiel’s head snapped your direction and he growled at you, his teeth clenched together with the rage.  “You had no right using him as an experiment after spending years without even—“

Why?” Your hands flew up to your hair as you fought the angry surge of power that was just hiding beneath your control, “Why do you all assume that five years off has my mind twisted?  I still know what I’m doing, I haven’t forgotten.”

“You ‘know what you’re doing?’” Castiel’s head tilted to the side and the incredulous expression on his face was strong enough that you could see it even across the library.  He took a few steps closer to you, though there was still a considerable amount of area between the two of you when he said “How can you know what you’re doing when you have never done it, before?”

“There’s a first for everything, Castiel.” 

Having heard his name come from your mouth was too much for dear Castiel, and within a few moments he was standing in front of you once again, this time his face was close, but his skin didn’t touch yours. Rather, he simply stood inches before you, his face twisted into a scowl as he looked down at you. 

“There should not be a first time for going against the order.”

A moment of silence was shared between everyone in the room, and you had completely forgotten about Sam before he finally broke the silence, saying “Guys, let’s be civil about this.”

“Not now, Sam.” Castiel growled, his eyes never leaving you.  “This is something with which you have no say.”

“He’s my brother,” Sam argued, walking up to Castiel and you within a few short seconds and making his face visible in your peripheral vision.  “In what world does family mean nothing?”