Chapter 9: Cold path

After being locked in a prison room, in the ship, that was headed towards Tord's hometown. Tord stood in the middle of the room he was now in. Looking around, he saw that it was pretty uncomfortable to be in. The room was pretty much made of wood and metal. There was a metal 'bed' covered with a thin old blanket, and in the corner was a big wooden crate box. Nothing else, but plain dark uncomfortableness. Looking around in despair, it reminded of Tord of how big of a trouble he and his friends were in.

Tord looked back at the door, and heard it being locked tightly on the other side. It's no use trying to open it now. The door is metal, which would be impossible to break through. Tord kept staring at the door with disbelief in his mind. He was still shaken up by what Jordan said. 'Since I have your friends, we can do anything we want to them.' That sentence kept floating in Tord's head, which made him tense up, getting more anticipated to save them, before anything happens to them. He needed to get out of here. "But what am I supposed to do?? I'm locked inside here, there's no way out." He thought to himself as he clenched his fists. "I need to think of something."

Thoughts and decisions raced in Tord's head as he paced back and fourth on the wooden floor. The thoughts made Tord feel a bit frustrated. "I need to do something, and fast!" He thought to himself. "How can I get out? Where can I find my friends? If I tell Jordan where the file is, he'll let us out, maybe, but that'll still end worse. But if I refuse then...." Tord sighed out loud to himself in frustration. The decisions and problems were too much for him. It was hard to pick a choice, as he felt that any choice Tord decides on will end up terribly wrong. Tord sighed, as he sat down on the metal 'bed', feeling frustrated and scared, yet not defeated. It may be tough, but Tord decided that he can try to make up a plan to get out of the room first. Then he'll see where this will all lead him to. 'But how??' Tord sighed to himself once again. Thoughts raced in his mind, as the thinking was hurting his head a little. "God if I don't think of anything quickly, then everything will just-"

Tord's heavy thoughts were suddenly cut off by a blow of soft air on him. Tord looked around in confusion. "Air? B-but there's no window." He thought to himself in confusion. "Where is it coming from?...!" Tord confused thoughts were suddenly changed into surprised as he looked up to see where the cool air was coming from. In his surprisement, Tord spotted a vent on the bottom corner of the room.

Tord looked at it, as he slowly walked towards the vent. Without any thought, he grabbed onto the vent, and pulled on it, and even more surprised, it wasn't too hard to open! The vent door slipped off easily. That was when Tord suddenly got an idea! "I... found my escape!" Tord almost said aloud as he smiled in relief. But of course the worry was not over yet. "I could use this vent to get out of this room, and into the halls." Tord used his hands to measure the vent. Yep, the vent was just big enough for Tord to fit, and crawl in. Feeling determined to get out of here, Tord looked around just in case.

Looking back at the vent, Tord breathed in and out deeply, and prepared himself as he crouched down. He then crawled in the vents. The cool air was blowing a bit hard from wherever it was coming from, but Tord was pretty happy that he was used to colds. His hands slapped down on the bottom of the metal vents, as he started to crawl deeper into it. But before he could go any further, the thoughts and consequences came back. "Where would this even take me?" Tord thought to himself. But he tried to shake off whatever was trying to hold him back and kept on going. Tord decided that he'll go on and see what happens, just as long as he is prepared for it.

The further Tord crawled in the vents, the darker and colder it got. But Tord was too determined to ignore any of that. All he wanted to do was get out of here, foil Jordan's plans, and save his friends. "But... would any of that even be easy?" Tord thought to himself, as he shook a little from the cold air. But shaking it off again, he kept crawling. "Gh, I'll just go on and do what I can."

Tord felt the vents going a bit upwards, which made climbing a bit difficult. Climbing up, Tord spotted a fainted light that was lighting more as he crawled closer to it. Curious, Tord crawled a little faster. To his surprise, the light was coming from an opening vent! He was on top of another room. Feeling a bit alert, Tord quickly stopped where he was at, and was in front of the air vent opening. "Damn, a room. I better not risk making any noise. There could be guards in there for all I know." Boy, was he right. Tord suddenly perked up by the sound of whisperings and mumbling that were coming from the room below. Tord curiously leaned forward to see who was in the room. There were obviously some guards in there. About three, and they were talking to someone.

"Sir, we've locked him up good in that room. There is no way he'll escape." One guard said. Tord rolled his eyes. "You didn't do so well of a good job." He thought sarcastically to himself. Tord continued to listen, but one particular voiced made him stood up. "Good, and the other three?" It was Jordan, of course. Tord gritted his teeth just by the sound of him, but remained calm. "Yes, they are also locked in their prison rooms. Just to make sure, they are locked in different locations of the ship." Well that sure makes things more easier. "But...." The guard hesitated. "But what?" Jordan snapped a little, which made the guard flinch. "One of the prisoners are 'whining' so much." The guard said, sounding a little annoyed and tired. Jordan just faced palmed a little. "And how is that a problem?" "Well uh...." The guard rubbed the back of his head. "It's interrupting us from our jobs, and it's also very... annoying." Jordan just sighed. He was obviously getting annoyed too.

Tord was just a little confused. He knew that the guard was talking about one of his friends, but which one? "Well what are you gonna do about, huh?" Jordan asked irritatingly. "Well were wondering if we can move him somewhere where he won't be heard at all." Another guard suggested. "Well you really think it's that hard to move him somewhere?" Jordan asked sarcastically. "Go ahead. That little weakling can't really put up a fight any-.... Wait... you know what?" Jordan thought to himself, as he got an idea. He smiled that smile that Tord knew that Jordan was gonna do something bad. "Don't worry about it, I can handle this one on my own." With that, Tord flinched at the sight of Jordan getting up from the chair. Getting a knot in his stomach, Tord knew what Jordan was going to do!

"Uh sir, where are you going?" The guard asked. "Going to fix the problem with that little weakling." Jordan said, as he smiled eerlie. He walked to the door, and never in Tord's life that he wanted to just jump out of the vents and beat the living day lights out of Jordan. But of course, he held back. He couldn't bare the thought of getting caught. Before Jordan walked out the door, he said aloud in a mocking tone. "Besides, if Tord knew what I'm going to do, it would get him talking for sure." Tord was shocked by that statement as his eyes widened. He literally gasped, but quickly covered his mouth. He saw that one of the guards notice, as looked around. "Did you say something, Ralph?" He asked the other guard standing beside him. "Nah, I didn't say anything." "You just said something." "Oh you smart a-" "Sigh, you two just be quiet and get back to work." Jordan said with the look as if he was looking at idiots. "Now I've got some 'business' to take care of." With that, Jordan walked out the door, and shut it loudly.

Tord crawled back as he saw the other guards leave the room. Tord was now in fear. What the heck was Jordan going to do? Which of his friends was the guard even taking about? Crawling over the vent quickly, Tord thought desperately to himself.

"I gotta get out of here and save them! Before Jordan does any damage!"