Change of Plans

Chairman: (voice over) Dear Director...

MOTHER OF INVENTION LOCKER ROOM. MANY YEARS AGO...

As the Chairman talks, Maine is seen helmetless, gathering his gear and sharpening his brute shot. The symbol of the Meta is tattooed onto the back of his head.

Chairman: (voice over) Your request for more bases in which to conduct your experiments was reviewed with much resorvation by our chairperson. Project Freelancer has been entrusted with one of our militaries' most valuable assets. Oversight becomes a much more difficult process if your operations are not centralized. Nonetheless, we have granted your request. However, we reserve the right to revoke this approval as we see fit. I sincerely hope this does not happen and anticipate you will not give us an occasion to do so.

Maine puts on his armor, loads up his weapons, and turns around. A reflection of flames suddenly appear all over his body. More flames are then seen seeping up from the ground, until the scene cuts to white. Cut to the medical bay in Washington's point of view. The white screen decreases, revealing North and South Dakota standing above Wash as he moans.

North Dakota: There you are.

Wash sits up.

North: Slowly. Slowly.

Washington: How long was I out?

North: Only a few days this time.

Washington: This time?

North: Yea, after they removed it.

Washington puts a hand on the back of his head.

Washington: Removed it?

North: It's gone. They're going to remove all of them. Started with you.

South Dakota: Yeah, thanks asshole, the whole process is on hold now.

Washington looks over to Carolina's now vacant bed.

Washington: What about Carolina?

Cuts to the Mother of Invention control bridge. The Director and Counselor are listening to Carolina's protest.

Carolina: I'm not giving them up just because he's made a recalculation. You owe me this.

Director: Carolina, you're acting like a child. This is not about you. This is about the project.

Counselor: You would be wise to listen to the Director. Agent Texas has already attempted to steal Wyoming's A.I. unit. If she were to come after you-

Carolina: Than she would get more than she bargined for.

Cut back to the medical bay with Washington, North, and South

North: Carolina's had it kinda rough. The Director's considering sending her to hunt down Texas.

Washington: Hunt her down?

South: She went rogue. Broke out of the facility in order to save her precious A.I. Little later we found Wyoming. Apparently she tried to steal his A.I. unit. Tried to get his equipment, too.

North: That hasn't been proven. Besides, that doesn't sound like her.

South: How would you know?

North: Just trust me. I know, and besides, if she had done it, there wouldn't be anything left of Wyoming to find.

South: She's not a fucking monster, North.