Chapter 14: Neil

Hopper's pov

The kids finished playing. "hey I think it's time" Joyce told me. I nodded. I walked over to them "hey um, can I borrow max?" they nodded. Max followed me. We sat in the kitchen table to talk. "did I do anything?" she asked nervously. "oh, no sweetheart you did nothing, we're here to talk about um, your step father, I think it's time hop arrests him" Joyce said. Max didn't say anything clearly scared and frightened. "I-I told you I'm fine" she said. I shook my head. "no max it's not, we want you safe" I said. I could see that she was trying to hold back tears. Joyce put her hand on top of max's. "do I have to come out to him before and my mom?" she asked nervously. Joyce has a sad look on her face, so did I. Why did a just 15 year old girl had to go through all that, abusive family and everything. "it's fine you don't have to -" max cut me off. "no not Neil like I said he'll kill me, i don't know about my mom..if she doesn't kick me out I'm sure she will hate me. Not that she gives a shit about me in general" she said. "you know you can come and stay with me and El. I think you'll be better here if your mom kicks you, out, if... she doesn't you're still welcomed any time" I told her. "thank you.... so um what will you do now?" she asked. She couldn't control it anymore, some tears fell down her face, she immediately wiped them so we don't see them. "oh honey, it's okay to cry, here" Joyce wrapped her in her arms. She started sobbing. The kids must have heard her crying and came running downstairs. "what happened" El asked worried. "give us a second kids, ids about Neil... we're gonna have to arrest him and think of a plan.." I told them calmy. I was nervous, anxious, upset and mad about all these things her family have done to her but I've learned to stay calm in the situations since its my job as well. Jonathan then came downstairs with Nancy as well, as they heard max crying to see what happened. They immediately understood. "do you want us to leave?" Lucas asked. "it's fine I'm fine" she said still in Joyce's arms. We all knew she wasn't so the kids came and sat with us. Even Jonathan and Nancy. "so um, I was thinking you stay here with everyone and I'll go arrest him, I'll um... tell you what you have to do for the police and stuff later okay?" I told her. Everyone was worried. "what about my mom?" she asked with a shaky voice. "do you want to go see her after?" I asked. "no, yes, no but um...she'll hate me more when she finds out I told you about Neil. Not that she cares much, she's scared like me but she loves him so she never left him, thinking he would change somehow, which is total bullshit. I tried to tell her how I feel about Neil and stuff but she just ignored me and acted like we're a happy family so I just gave up...he was literally beating me and she just stood there not saying anything to help me, she told him to stop but he wouldn't. Then she just gave up not that she tried to do much but I'll never forgive her for it" she said trying not to break down again. The others came to hug her... El first. She started crying in el's arms again. Dustin came to talk to me. "is it okay if I call Steve and Robin to come too, for support? They told me before, when this would happen.. you know when you arrest Neil." he said. "oh um, max, do you mind if Steve and Robins come here?" she shook her her as a no. "alright call him" I told him. He went to the phone. El pulled away from the hug so the others could hug her too. "alright, how about I go now, you kids stay here and then you'll tell me what you want to do with your mom?" I said. "okay, yeah, thanks" she said. "alright" I replied. I went to give her a hug. We stayed like that for a minute. I left. "I'll come with you" Joyce said as I was about to leave. "it's fine, stay with the kids." i told her. "no, it's fine I'll come Nancy and Jonathan will watch them" Joyce said. Nancy and Jonathan nodded. "alright fine" I said. Joyce gave max a hug before leaving. "good luck" they all told us. "we'll get him alright" I said looking at max and the others. She nodded and smiled as a thank you.

Max's pov

Hopper and Joyce left. I was so nervous about what was going to happen. I at least have my friends for support. I don't know what I would do without them. There was a silence when they left. None of us knew what to do. We all sat in the living room. All of them were trying to make me laugh and have fun to not think about Neil and everything. I was sad but they made me feel better. We heard the ringbell. I flinched thinking it was Neil or something. I know that hopper was going to arrest him but I'm still scared he'll come after me sometimes out of nowhere. "it's Steve and Robin I'll go get it" Dustin said.