Chapter 4 - Meeting the Odd Warrior

Eugene and Varian tries to get up steady. They brushed themselves off from the grass.

Adira raised her eyebrow at them. She was confused. "This is the strangest way to meet you two." Adira said.

Eugene raises his eyebrow at her. He was stern. "Well, you're the odd warrior I have ever met." Eugene said.

Varian elbowed at him. He tightened his teeth. Varian was nervous. "Eugene." He warned with his teeth.

Adira clears her throat. She was not bothered. "All right. Allow me to make nicknames around here. I liked to call nicknames besides your actual names anyway." Adira mentioned.

The raccoon crawled up on Varian. Ruddiger was on Varian's shoulders. The raccoon smiled at him. Varian smiles at Ruddiger back.

Adira noticed the raccoon. She pointed at Ruddiger. "Sweet-critter." Adira called.

Varian was delighted. He encounters the raccoon. "You heard that, buddy?" Varian added, wondering. Ruddiger squeaks. The raccoon nodded its head. "You really are a sweetheart." He said.

She points at Varian next. "Blue-stripe." Adira called the alchemist.

Eugene was perplexed.

Varian was bewildered. He raised his eyebrow at her. "Blue-stripe?" Varian added, asking. He was angry. Ruddiger jumps off of the alchemist. Varian marched forward to her. "I only have my blue stripe because I was born with it." He complained.

She grabbed Varian's back of his blue-gray shirt. Adira lifted him up. She was bemused.

Eugene was alarmed. "Mam! Mam! Take it easy with him! Varian's just a kid!" He exclaimed.

Varian makes a frowning face. He was sulky. Varian moves his arms crazily. He attempts to get her yet failed. "Put me down! Put me down! Adira, you put me down right now!" Varian exclaims. He quits moving frantically at her. Varian breathes hard thru his teeth.

She raises her eyebrow at the kid. "You're a scrawny little thing, aren't you?" Adira wondered.

Varian growled at her.

Eugene was concerned. "Mam! Please put Varian down! He will chill out after you put him down!" He exclaims at her.

She kept facing Varian. Adira was puzzled. "I would rather call Varian 'Son of Quirin'. Yet, it's up to...Varian then..." she suggested.

Varian blinked his eyes twice. He gasped. Varian was astonished. "You knew my dad?!" He exclaimed.

Adira shrugged. She was knowledgeable. "Your father is my companion...Which we used to..." Adira believed. She set Varian down on the grassy ground.

Varian walked away from her immediately. He was surprised yet annoyed.

Eugene gets in front of Varian. Eugene was anxious. "Mam, I have to keep Varian hidden from the perilous world. He's like a brother to me." He said.

Adira doesn't seem concerning. "It's all right with me, Fishskin." She acknowledged.

Eugene was glad at first. "Well, thanks for telling me-" he added. Then, Eugene was triggered. "Wait?! FISHSKIN?!" He shouted.

Eugene perturbed. He was infuriated. "That is so much worse than Blue-stripe!" Eugene yelled.

Varian faces Eugene. He was irritated. "Eugene, I think Adira only called you Fishskin, because you're the only person here who can swim." Varian guessed.

She crisscrossed her arms. Adira was quizzed. "And you two are going to ask me why I meet you here? Just all of a sudden?" She asked.

Eugene shrugs. He was peeved. "That is correct, odd swordslady." Eugene answered.