31

Word Count: 2263

*Mature Content Warning! Proceed At Your Own Discretion*

~Vaela

A knock on the doorframe to my bedroom has me looking up.

"Why don't we go out?" Hale asks, looking wary.

I haven't meant to make it obvious that I'm disappointed that I never got to go out, and that the resolution to my mortality may include ending my own life.

"I don't care where it is, I'm in," I exclaim, kicking my legs out over the edge of the bed.

"Since we couldn't find Kyler, maybe we can find someone else," Hale offers.

He's trying to please me, to draw out the stagnant feelings of boredom and tiredness that plague me. But that bite of cold ice in his eyes is inescapable.

"Or maybe, I just need to get out, even for a night. Somewhere with sun, that's warm," I muse, drawing closer to him.

A physical pursuit with a stranger isn't a feat I've officially given up on. Maybe something simple like a date with one would suffice, but ridding my sexual frustration from Hale with someone else is only going to hurt me.

Hale smiles, simple and sweet. "I know the perfect place."

"No touching, no suggestive remarks and no...no teasing me," I establish. This trip needs to be about removing the tension between us, not adding to it.

"Teasing you?" His eyes glitter, trying to bait me.

I rest my hands on my hips. "You know what I mean. This is just going to be a nice outing."

Hale ultimately decided on a place on the beach to stay in, which couldn't make me happier. The moment we arrived, I spent over an hour just lounging in the sun, enjoying a book.

For most of the day, Hale gives me space, allowing me to go out for a bit before returning at dusk. It feels good, to get a sense of freedom and self control back.

Hale issitting at the house when I returned, which he casually admitted is one of the many properties that belongs to him.

I can't say I'm surprised.

I lean around the doorframe, smiling sweetly at him. "Remember what I said earlier about this just being about an outing, and not about finding my mate?"

His brow raises. "Sure."

"I'm going on a date." All this has come about very quickly, and for once, I'm actually excited. This could be the start of finally distancing myself from what is going on between Hale and I.

"With?"

"A man I met today. His name is Alexander." We met randomly in a small café, and when he brazenly asked me if I wanted to join him for dinner, I couldn't find a reason to say no to him.

He rests his book down, folding his arms over his chest. "Did you touch him?"

"No. But I will, after a nice dinner," I exclaim, ignoring the pressing intensity of Hale's gaze as it follows me into the room.

"Or you could before the dinner, so you can skip the dinner," he notes. I roll my eyes.

"Hale, I haven't been able to do anything for myself in a long time. A date will be nice," I remind him, dipping into the room I've set up in.

I brought one pretty dress, although I figure I'm going to have to cover it with a coat considering my constant cold temperature, even if we are in one of the warmer parts of the land.