5

Word Count: 2333

~Vaela

I don't know how long I slept for.

I wake colder than I was before, despite my proximity to the fire. Aside from the crackling of the flames, which I believe is stoked by magic, the foyer is silent, and lacking any Pureblood's.

Sitting up, I rub my eyes. Should I wait here, or should I seek Hale out?

If I seek him out, it means I have to talk to him. Not that he isn't interesting, or hasn't been somewhat nice to me, he's still utterly terrifying.

My knee aches as I scramble to my feet, swaying warily. With a full stomach and a mind sated by a fine nap, I'm satisfied.

Aside from this biting cold.

Exhaling irritably, I stalk my way to the entrance to the hallway, footsteps silent against Hale's crimson rugs. He could be anywhere. Should I risk a wander down the hallway to that bath I noticed when he tended to my knee?

Is it even safe to undress around here?

The silent promise of warmth bends rationality as I pad down the hallway, fingertips running around the natural walls of the cave.

My fingers bump along unopened doors as I walk. I wonder if Hale is behind one of them. Immortals don't sleep, unless to pass time, so I'm curious as to what he is doing at this exact moment.

With the slightest touch, one of the door's shudders open.

Pausing, I turn my head, peering curiously through the crack in the door. My blood is ice cold, and not just from whatever magic has cursed me.

I should keep walking. But instead, with three fingers, I press the door open, intrigued by a subtle glow emanating from inside.

It's hardly a room that I see, but a part of the cave that has been incorporated into the living space.

A hot spring, steam drifting up off the surface, is set in the centre of the space.

For a long moment. I just gape at it.

Approaching it cautiously, I peer in, seeing it's deep enough to sit in comfortably. The heat emanating off it is tempting. This looks far more enjoyable to lounge in than a bath would be.

There is a reminder humming in the back of my mind that I should be cautious. It takes a single touch to melt the skin and flesh from my fingers. These natural springs are unpredictable.

Tipping my toe just below the surface of the water, I'm met with delightful warmth.

For the first time since my foot slipped into the eternal life pond, I smile.

There are enough shadows in the room that I feel comfortable enough to strip down to a camisole and panties. I'm moments away from falling victim to the cold, which seems like a far-away problem the moment I sink into the water.

I can't help myself, letting out a relieved sigh as I rest my head back against the rock.

I'm not sure how many minutes pass, as I allow the heat to wrap itself around me like an embrace. The reflection of the water dances along the cave roof, hypnotic. Eventually, a slight sweat gathers on my brow, but I don't move. This is far too enjoyable.

"I would have thought the last pool would make you more wary of bodies of water."

I don't turn.

"You're not naked are you?" I respond sourly, keeping my eyes closed. I can hear his footsteps scuffing over the rock as he approaches.

"A man is walked in once and this is his legacy?"