13

Word Count: 1674

~Vaela

"Ugh, I bet he fucks so good."

My head snaps to my friend next to me, who sits back against the headboard, admiring Hale through a gap in the door. He is merely minding his own business in the other room, flicking through a book mindlessly, Eyla's observation having come out of nowhere.

I tap her arm with the back of my hand. "Eyla!"

"What? I'm just speaking my mind." She rubs her arm, her suggestive smile lingering.

Now that the brutal, overwhelming terror Eyla once had in Hale's presence has dwindled, she's decided to divulge into her Pureblood fantasies once again. Hale, on the other hand, hasn't so much as glanced at her beyond anything polite, but her mind still wanders.

"Then tell your mind to keep it to itself." Despite myself, my gaze lifts to the gap in the door.

Watching Hale concentrate is fascinating. His hair curls down his forehead, brushing against his brows, which are creased slightly. He doesn't glance up, captivated by whatever he is reading.

Eyla taps her lower lip with the tip of her finger. "I mean, he has literal centuries of experience."

"I swear..."

"Don't act like it hasn't crossed your mind." She digs her elbow into my side, forcing me to adjust against the headboard, considering kicking her in the leg.

I pick up my own book, but the words don't stick as I gaze over them. "No, it's just you."

It's not just her. It should be, but it's not.

These words from my book may not be settling into my mind, but Hale sure has. He saved me. That's it. And he's trying to help me...

But when he looks at me, the way my stomach flutters in response does not arise from Hale's saviour tendencies. It's because he teases something up within me that I'm not willing to acknowledge just yet.

"He's insanely hot, and he has that brooding, enigmatic look about him that makes me want to tear his clothes off." Eyla's just mumbling at this point, making me privy to the deep Pureblood fantasy she has admitted to divulging into since meeting Hale.

"Whatever you say." I turn the page.

It's taking all my energy to keep my gaze trained on the pages in front of me, at the words swimming incoherently before me.

"And those tattoos? I'm in love."

My gaze flickers back up.

Hale absently taps his pen against his lower lip, drawing my attention right to his mouth. My mind drifts to all the things I know he could do with it.

I clear my throat, "You're not in love, you're just falling for that perfect exterior that purebloods boast. You've been successfully manipulated." I'm sounding like Will now.

"And I'm okay with it. I know you are too." Eyla sounds confident considering I don't imagine she is going to act on how she feels. She has a guy back home who she is currently interested in, and luckily for her, isn't frightfully powerful and dangerous.

Slamming my book closed, I toss it onto the bed, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Oh stop, I have no interest in an Immortal Sin," I grumble.

Eyla grins. "Liar."

"What do you want me to say?" Even if I admitted to being attracted to Hale, what would that mean for me? He would have to be attracted to me as well for anything to happen between us.