17

Word Count: 1664

~Vaela

Groaning, I let my book topple to my lap, unbothered by the loss of my page placement.

"This book is going to make me fall asleep."

Hale seems reluctant to drag his attention from his own book. It's a ritual, to sit with two chairs pulled up to the fire, indulging in quiet reading time together. We can read anywhere, and yet we have established silent agreement to be in each other's company for it.

I watch Hale's eyes scan the cover of the book as I pick it up again. "You haven't gotten to the good part, that's why."

"Is that right?" My eyes narrow.

Suddenly, my pages flutter wildly, until they still. Hale lowers his hand, magic ceasing. I note his smirk, as my attention drags down to the page he has intentionally guided me to.

A gasp get's caught in my throat as I skim over the writing.

His hands drag up my thighs, fingers winding through the lace band of my panties, drawing them down my legs, revealing my-

I look back up at Hale, whose smile suggests he's amused, although his darkened eyes are laden with ulterior meaning.

The weight of his gaze presses into me as my eyes lower again.

I've never wanted a man inside me so badly. His mouth explores me, not leaving an inch of my body untouched.

"Oh...This is graphic," I wince, attention drifting to the bottom of the page to see the woman get's what she wishes, the scene stunningly detailed.

"It's why you're reading it, isn't it?" Hale murmurs gently.

I exhale all the air from my lungs in one breath. "Not exactly..."

"Would you like to enjoy some privacy while you indulge in your romantic fantasies." He's teasing me, having the audacity to smile broadly now. I'm tempted to toss the book straight at his head, although admittedly, I'm intrigued by the story now.

I flip through some more pages. "There is nothing romantic about this."

Hale is now completely uninterested in his own book. "It's a romance book, Vae."

"I need to experience the genesis of the relationship before I can get to this part. If you skip ahead, you miss all the tension and build up that ultimately leads to the epic.." I break off, flushing with heat.

His eyes darken. "Sex scene?"

My throat tightens, making it impossible to swallow. "I was going to say it."

He leans back, resting his hands behind his head. "I suppose your right, but don't you ever read it and want them to just get to it already, that it's obvious they want each other."

"Didn't know you read romance." My accusatory tone makes him smile.

The thought of Hale laying in his bed with this particular book open, reading through the graphic scene makes my toes curl.

He watches me with hooded eyes. "I've lived in a cave for over a century. You would be surprised what I've read as a means of entertainment."

"Yet another fascinating glimpse into your private life," I muse, flipping back to my original page, deciding I am going to see this story through.

When Hale doesn't bite back with some snarky retort, I glance up, only to see him vacantly staring at the floor, frowning deeply.

"You okay-"