Bonus ~ Mother's Day Special

Espresso, the curious 2 year old child sat in the cold chair, confused. He had not a clue what was happening, one moment he was in a dark room, no warmth escaping from the slivers of light poking through the cracks in the door, and the next he was grabbed by the arms and dragged into the light of the next room over, shoved harshly into the chair he was currently resting on. The normally fluffy hair of the brunette was now a wild mess as his big, innocent eyes blinked around the room trying to make out the weird blurs.

He was terrified. They had strapped him to the chair, the sharp edges poking at his skin uncomfortably. His stubby legs slightly dangled over the edge as he struggled and struggled.

Tears welled in his eyes, rolling down his cheeks as he wailed, calling for someone to help him.

"Silence you putrid rodent!" A female voice shrieked.

A tall figure came into view. Espresso could recognise her, the pale skin, bright red eyes and snow-white hair. She had a strange helmet looking object on her head that resembled a pair of dragon's horns, while also wearing a long red and black dress that reached the floor. That was the woman who had found him.

"Mama?" The quiet tear-choked voice of the coffee cookie child asked the woman.

"Where's my mama? Mama! Ma--"

"Silence, I said!" The woman snapped.

Espresso squeezed his eyes shut, nose scrunching up as he threatened to throw another tantrum. It had been ages since he'd last seen his parents. Where were they? Where had they gone? They promised they would come back for him!

Snot dribbled down from his nose as he sobbed in fear of what this woman would do to him. She reached over to lift his chin up to face her, a deep scowl on her face.

"Your parents left you, child. Do not worry, my name is Dark Enchantress cookie and I will be your new guardian," she stated coldly.

Espresso sniffled, whimpering as he tried to back away from her grip. He didn't like this lady. She was scary.

The terrified coffee cookie trembled.

"I-I want my-- my-- I want my mama and papa!" he sobbed, more tears cascading down the dark colour of his cheeks. Dark Enchantress scoffed, brows furrowing in annoyance.

Espresso only cried more, tiny body shaking with tears. Finally, she gave in.

"Alright, alright calm down. You're fine." she cooed, rubbing circles into his back comfortingly.

"Shhh, it's alright." Dark Enchantress used a part of her dress to wipe the dampness away from his small face. Espresso blinked up at her, slowly calming down and leaning into her touch.

She frowned, a ghost-like sympathy flashing across her face as she carefully unstrapped the poor kid and lifted him into her arms. Espresso cuddled into her chest, clutching the fabric of her dress and laying his head on her shoulder, eyelids drooping.

Dark Enchantress rocked him back and forth, whispering into his ears soothingly. She glanced down at the sleeping child in her arms and smiled ever so slightly, stroking his hair.

She let out a deep sigh, careful not to disturb him.

"Are you finished playing mama bear or...?" An unknown voice interrupted them. Dark Enchantress startled, clutching Espresso to her chest.

"Oh, I... I didn't realise you were here.." she stuttered.

"Hurry up and draw the magic outta' him." the voice grumbled.

Dark Enchantress froze, glancing down to stare at the peaceful face of the sleeping toddler.

"Now? Are you sure...? Won't it--"

"Better start reciting your precious farewells to the little pipsqueak. The process'll kill him for sure. Go on, strap him back to the chair."

Her eyes widened as she hesitated with the child in her arms.

The voice went silent, before cackling softly.

"You won't, will you?" the voice boomed, "Admit it, White Lily is still inside of you, she's still there. A pathetic parasite."

Dark Enchantress scowled, turning to shout.

"I'm not!" she yelled, startling Espresso, "She's not..."

"I am no longer that weak fragment of my past. White Lily is gone."

Espresso looked up sleepily, catching Dark Enchantress' gaze. Her face immediately softened as she resumed stroking his hair.

"I will do it. Just not now. He is but a child, his magic is still developing. He's weak."

Dark Enchantress didn't want to see the life drain from the young child's eyes. Not yet. She needed more time. More time for the shadow of White Lily to disappear for good.

The voice replied with an irritated grunt. Silence followed.

Espresso fell asleep once more in her arms, burying his face into her dress. Dark Enchantress held him like he was the most precious object on earthbread, exiting the room and making her way to her chambers.

She needed more time.

I'll wait twenty years if I have to.

~

787 words