7) Tip- Top Shape

"And This hallway leads to the west wing where the Claus art gallery is.
The room of secrets.
The room of  treasures" I tried to hasten my steps as Mrs. Claus showed me the condensed tour of the castle. Today was her day to show me the ins and outs of her role. I would be overtaking it soon.
"You must ensure each of the 200 rooms are in tip top shape!"

I scribbled a few notes in my steno pad. Two servants, Holly and Frosty, followed me at my feet. They looked cheery and bright and always greeted me with a smile. It seemed all the staff did...

"We can take notes your majesty" Holly interjected.

"That is fine!" I smile to them. They nod and retract, making sure to keep their distance.

"The kitchen." She lifted a finger making cookies and pastries appear.

"2,534 cookies per week must be prepped and baked."

"Per week?"

"700 pastries per day"Mrs Claus continues.

"Why?" I tried to hide my smirk. The amount was absurd and it seemed like it would be a poor waste of food. The two servants snickered behind me but stopped as Mrs. Claus gave them an icy stare.

"Because. That is ..... Well Wynter...that's just the way things are." She defended.

"But Nick says he doesn't like cookies. Drew prefers deer claws. Why don't we bake bagels? In a smaller quantity? Like a bakers dozen?"

"Bagels?" She frowns, looking disgusted at the foreign word.

"Yes! They're like these wonderful circles of bread. You can fill the top with cream cheese. Oh! We can make a glaze from the filling of deer claws and—-"

"No we cannot!" She snapped, dismissing my suggestion immediately.

"Why?" I ask. I would never back down from a challenge, even if that meant going against nicks mommy.

"Because...we just can't Wynter. There are rules. Traditions...they were passed from generation to generation. Santa works in the factory and Mrs. Claus works in the kitchen and takes care of the house"

"With all due respect Mrs. Claus,  it seems as if these rules were passed down to make Mrs. Claus seem busier than she truly is."

I could see the anger in her eyes.

"Oh.. I didn't mean for it to come out like that."

"Wynter. Nick told me to help you assimilate into the pole life. Against my better judgement, I listened and obliged."

"Yes and I thank you immensely for that! I didn't mean it in the way—"

"But If you think you can handle it or have a comment against eveything I say—-"

"I was just suggesting we—-"

"Here?" She takes off her apron and slaps it against the counter. "Then you do it. I am officially relinquishing my title and giving the title to you. Have fun Mrs. Claus!" She pretends to smile before turning on her heel and leaving.

"Mrs Claus! Wait! Please... that is not what I meant—"

SLAM

"Great." I mumbled. I throw my steno-pad to the floor, and silk, sliding down against the wood cabinetry in defeat.

"May we help you cheer up Mrs. Claus?" Holly and Frosty sit beside me.

"No..no that's fine. You two may have the rest of the day off." They pat my knee before leaving me alone in the kitchen.

Now what was I supposed to do?
Was I in over my head? How could I manage over 5,000 elves, 100 reindeer, a kitchen full of staff and servants and maintain the palace.
She made it look so easy.

"Wynter? Wyn?"

I hear Nick's voice as it traveled in the distance.
"Have any of you seen Wynter?"

I hear a few whispers before Nick's footsteps draw near. He sees me on the floor and stands above me.

"My mother came through the doors fuming. She said something about rules and respect?"

I twisted the ends of my scarf from side to side, my eyes refused to lift from the floor because I knew if I looked into Nick's eyes, I would loose it.

Nick crouched in front of me and pulled my jaw so I could face him. "Wyn...what's wrong?"

I tried my hardest not to cry but I was too defeated. "Aww Wynter" he pulled me into his chest as tears ran down my cheeks.

"I know it shouldn't effect me..but I just...I want her to like me. I just thought marrying you would give me a big family... I just... want... a family"

"I'm sorry Wyn. I wish they could see how amazing and kind hearted you are.
Drew sees it.
The elves see it.
Jingles and Holly and Frosty see it."

"They told you?" I look up.

"They refused to leave the doors until I came in to check on you" I smiled as I heard the tale.
"My parents will come around."

"And what if they don't?" I challenge.

"They will!"

"When? Becuase I'm kinda on an island alone here?"

Nick frowns and thinks. "An island means you would be all alone? You have me...Drew...Jingles"

"Fine not an island. More like a peninsula." I sniff.

He smiles before kissing my forehead. "Christmas is over! I'll be at the pole much more and that means I can show you the ropes. Who needs my mom!" He grabbed my jaw again before forcing me to stare into his eyes.

"Now no more crying, okay?" He wipes my tears away. I nodded and force a smile.

"Come on." He carries me on his back, trying to cheer me up.

"Nick!" I laugh.

"I used to do this to Drew all the time when we were younger to cheer him up" We walk through the hallways and pass the servants and guards.

"Did it always work?" I ask him, tightening my grip around his neck so he wouldn't drop me.

"All the time! Until I dropped him that one time" he looks back at me mischievously.

"Nick Claus! I swear if you drop me!" He pretends to slip making me hold onto him even tighter.

I didn't even remember why I was sad by the time we got up the stairs.

——-

AN:

Sorry for the abrupt endings!

Y'all notice a more playful Nick? 👀👀 Happiness looks good on him. Let's thank the good sis Wynter for that🤧

Also, so excited cause I finally thought of the plot/storyline for the book! Forewarning! It gets dark but like I said in the story description, not all is merry and bright!