Chapter 26: Red Right Hand

Amelia's crystal blue eyes widen, judgment creeping into her voice as she gazes at Janine. "You look absolutely dreadful."

Janine's lips press into a thin line, and I send Amelia a glare. We're all well aware Janine isn't doing great. It's been another two days, and her condition is worsening more and more. Tom is still seemingly fine. Or at least, that's what he keeps telling me. And he did kick my ass yesterday during our sparring, and unlike before, I didn't let him hit me. So, that means something.

But Janine... the circles under her eyes have gone darker, and her brown skin is becoming dull and ashy. We're unsure just how long she has left but seeing her get worse like this doesn't appear promising.

"I'm perfectly able to participate in this mission, Ms. Spens," Janine replies sharply. "The nanite control box is smashed, and the scientists on Dearg are still refusing to answer our message. Tom and Miss Edwards are working on repairing it themselves but are making little progress. However, in the absence of a cure, I refuse to succumb to my illness."

"Oh, goodness, I wasn't suggesting you retire to bed," She says with a faint laugh, as if mocking her for thinking she might actually care. "We need you on this mission. I was maybe suggesting maybe a little bit of concealer might be in order? No one suits that 'just climbed out of my death bed' pallor."

Chief McCallen chokes beside us, looking at Amelia with wide eyes. "For goodness' sake, lass, have a little tact!"

A small smile stretches across my face at his response, but I shrug. "Don't concern yourself with Amy's manners, Chief. Janine and I are used to it by now."

Amelia grins wickedly at me. "Careful, Five. I know you will probably need concealer, too, by the end of this mission. I can already see a couple bruises peeking through on your neck and jaw. Did you get that from sparing with Tom, or did you and your husband get a little too reckless?"

I sneer at her, heat creeping up the back of my neck in embarrassment. Her grin widens, having got her answer. She then looks over at the chief. "And it's not lass, if you don't mind. It's Prime Minister."

The graying blond narrows his eyes at her. "We don't recognize the authority of the British government here."

"But I'm sure you recognize the authority of a fully-armed nuclear submarine parked off your coast," She remarks, her smile fading. "Besides, you lot are in no position to complain after the mess you've made of the mainland. There are red fungus infections on beaches all down the west coast."

"That's got nae to do with us."

She scoffs in disbelief. "The fungal seed pods were carried on currents from this island, and they left here on the day your people arrived, Janine. We burned most of them before they could get a foothold, but Bangor was swamped before we knew it." She sighs. "If I hadn't kept a burn cube aside for a special occasion, we could have lost the whole of Wales!"

I'm sure she can see the confusion swirling in my eyes. "Wait. I thought we used the last Burn Cube with Sage."

She rolls her eyes. "Oh, my sweet ignorant Five. As I said, I kept it aside. I didn't tell you lot since you all were constantly getting yourselves into trouble and needing to use them." She crosses her arms. "Sort of like right now, with you getting into trouble the second I look away. Seriously! You lost the Edda! The only thing that might help us understand how to fight the fungus."

I huff. "Sorry. Jones was too busy rattling off nonsense before he died to tell us where it was."

"However," Janine interjects, "we believe Jones may have had some help from someone on the island. That may be who has the Edda now."