Chapter 22: Best Laid Plans...

I swear I can hear my own heart pounding in my chest.

A steady beat, a simple tune, reminding me of the time that ticks by. They're coming.

Jones summoned death to us, and now it has arrived.

"Janine, we are going to be okay, aren't we?" Sam asks, and it's that bit of shaking nervousness that he can't seem to hide that threatens to break my heart in two. "I mean, I only ask because well, there's a massive horde of zombies about to hit the island, Paula's just finishing evacuating the entire town, and Jody's defending the beach the horde is lurching over, and our plan is to lure the zombies across the island and McShell them over a cliff."

I glance over at Janine, who is beside me. To my surprise, her mask of confidence slips ever so slightly, revealing a crinkled brow and eyes that have the slightest hint of insecurity swirling in the blue depths.

"Admittedly, Mr. Yao, it may be among our riskier gambits," She says, and I don't know whether to be thankful she's admitted it or be worried that she has admitted instead of clinging to the delusion that no one was going to die today.

"Weirdly, I like it when you say stuff like that. It reminds me of the start. You in command, us against a giant horde of regular non-v-Type zombies. Like the good old days."

"I don't think 'good' is a word I would use," Nicole remarks, and he tsks in reply.

"Another thing I liked about the start is that you weren't here."

"And neither was Singer."

He huffs. "She came to Abel earlier than you did."

"Still was three years into the apocalypse. Wouldn't call it the start or the good old days."

"Sometimes I swear you make it your mission to antagonize me."

"Only because it's easy to tick you off. Honestly, Singer, how do you manage to have a good relationship with him when he's so sensitive over everything?"

Sam chokes on his breath. "Sensitive?!"

"Are you two done?" I ask, probing my hands on my hips with pursed lips. "We do have other things to worry about."

"Sorry," Sam apologizes, huffing when Nicole says nothing, mostly because she very much isn't sorry and enjoys being a little shit.

I smile softly. "I forgive you, but only because you're cute."

His sheepish laugh in response makes my smile broaden, and I can almost picture him blushing while on coms.

"Alright," Tom announces. "Shona and I will get the backup McShell volunteers into position. Janie," He sends her a pointed look, "make sure we're not needed."

I know that's his way of telling her, and me, to not die while running McShells. We both nod, although Janine's is more curt and confident; The half smile I give him only slightly assuring, if the furrowed brows and slight frown are anything to go off of.

"Everybody form up!" Shona commands, following Tom as he turns and walks off. She waves to the others, frowning at one of the younger women. "Clarrissa, stop staring at Commander De Luca's shoulders and concentrate!"

I snort, but all laughter fades when I hear Jody over the headsets.

"Janine? It's Jody here. Are you receiving? There's something wrong on this beach."

Janine's entire body tenses, and a sinking feeling settles in my stomach as Jody continues.

"Big horde's hitting us from the sea alright, but there are zoms approaching from multiple angles, some from inland."