Chapter 23: Codified Likeness Utility

I'm thankful I have my headset on so I can hear the whispers of everyone behind me. Still, as my slender fingers pick at the gate's lock to the ice bridge ahead, I keep my face neutral. One wrong expression and I'm sure Jones will pull the trigger of his rifle.

As if reading my thoughts, Jones shoves the barrel of it just a bit harder into my back, making me wince.

"I believe we've humored Jones long enough now," Tom murmurs. "That ice bridge isn't something I'd want to traverse in even in the best of circumstances, and the weather is starting to get warmer."

"So not the finest of times," Sam adds.

"We could rush him," Shona suggests. "I mean, look at him. He's making Five open the gate to the ice bridge because he couldn't. He doesnae look well, does he?"

He hums. "To be fair, it does look like a stiff breeze could knock him over, but he's still very dangerous. And he's got his rifle pointed right at my wife. One wrong move and he'll kill her. We can't-we can't risk it."

Shona sighs, and I pause trying to pick the lock. Why does she sound so disappointed? "The ice bridge was for tourists. It's three miles long. The people on Dearg Island put chemicals in the metal to encourage the ice to grow around the frame underneath. It's rock solid most of the year except high summer. It's safe."

The lock clicks, and Jones nudges me with the barrel of his rifle to push the gate open. Sam's breath hitches when Jones harshly pushes me forward.

"Yeah, but..." He huffs. "Look, what I'm saying is, is Jones safe?"

"Come on, all of youse," Jones announces, turning back to look at the three behind him. "The gate's open now. Quickly, quickly! Over the bridge. We can't talk here. They're listening."

I don't ask who 'they' are. As Tom, Sam and Shona start moving, Jones grabs my arm to keep me from doing so. It's clear he plans on using me to get everyone else to cooperate. If he keeps me close, he knows that the threat of killing me will keep them from trying anything.

Sam's eyes are full of fear as he passes me. Tom's are of burning hatred, but that hatred isn't directed at me. Shona spares me a pitiful glance before gazing ahead. Jones then pushes me forward. His steps are quick, and I take a risk to glance over my shoulder at him. He looks paranoid, constantly looking from one way to the next.

Who is he looking for?

"Look," I hear Shona say, her voice low. "That bridge leads to Banbarraig Glacier. None of us ever thought anyone could survive there, but if he has somehow... don't you see? The Edda could be there."

"The control box could be there," Tom adds, a glimmer of hope in his voice.

"And if he looks likely to hurt us, we can just push him off the bridge."

I can't see Sam's face, but I do see him stiffen in surprise. "Well, okay. Okay, Shona, I haven't seen that side of you before. But we can worry about that after we get Jones to point his rifle away from Callista."

"Move faster! We've no time at all!" Jones barks, before he starts to cough painfully. "I have to tell you what I know before it's too late."

"Too late?" I repeat, and Sam and Tom both look back at me to send me looks that say, 'Shut the hell up before you get shot!' I don't listen. "Because you're going to murder us?"

Sam audibly whines in fear.

Jones coughs. "Too late because I'm dying. Move! Over the bridge. Run!"

He glances at the three ahead of us, his teeth gritted in irritation when they all stare at him in shock. He then shoves me ahead, causing me to nearly body slam Shona.