you like me

gxg

"shut up, you rat!!!" i laughed, punching billie in the arm playfully. "i don't like her, i was just being nice." i insisted.

billie and i were hanging out after school as usual and she was teasing me about liking some new girl. i talked to her once during lunch just to be nice and make her feel welcome. so of course billie thinks that means i must like her.

"okay, whatever." she raised her brows. i watched her take a long drink of her blue slurpee and let my mind wander.

we were sitting on the curb behind our favourite gas station, drinking our favourite drinks. it was scorching hot out which didn't stop us from riding our bikes here since it was our literal ritual at this point.

i peeled my eyes away from her then looked up at the pinkish orange sky. sunset.

everything was perfect in my small world and i was still finding something to worry about. while billie was distracted by the thought of me crushing on the new girl, i was crushing on her. we'd been friends since before we even started school and it took me 17 years to realise that not everyone wanted to fuck their best friend. and its the most cringe thing i've ever done. its so cliché of me to like her. at some point early on i decided to keep it to myself and get over it. billie was straight so i didn't have a chance anyway.

"sunny?" her gentle voice pulled me out of my head.

"hm?" i tried pretending like i wasn't just thinking about her in anyway, but as expected it didn't work. she knew something was up. and from what i can tell she's known for a while.

"alright, listen ho. we're gonna have to talk about this at some point you know that right?" she set her drink down. my stomach sank and i felt my cheeks turn red. she said that like she knew exactly what "this" was.

"talk about...?" i played it off like i was clueless.

"this... you, the laughing and staring off into space. you've obviously been thinking about something. or someone." her tone shifted from playful to almost angry. it sounded like she was getting worked up.

i opened my mouth, about to lie through my teeth but she cut me of before i could.

"and i know its not that stupid new girl because you've been like this for months now, so who is it, sunny?!" she was practically yelling at this point. i looked around to see if people were looking and they definitely were. she sounded so angry and the mood swing was crazy. it wasn't like her to do this.

"can we go to my place and talk about this?" i tried to stay calm. i wasnt mad like she was, i was mostly confused at her sudden anger. she stood up quietly and walked to her bike, throwing her slurpee away aggressively on the way there. i followed closely behind her.

we rode most of the way in complete silence, but as we approached the driveway of my house i decided to say something.

"bil?" my voice was quite and shaky. she looked at me, waiting for me to speak.

"are you mad?"

"im... i-... i don't know how i feel." she looked away from me. shit, me either.

we parked our bikes and walked inside, making our way to my bedroom. i turned on the led lights to blue like normal and plopped onto my bed.

"look, if i liked someone i would tell you. i tell you everything don't i?"

she shrugged. she was doing that stupid shit where she would just shut down for a while until she could figure things out. we locked eyes for a minute before she spoke up.