The Faults Of Memory

Hello, I'm back. If you saw my post on my board, you'll know what's went down. I say it like that because he... he passed. A great father, grandfather, and war veteran.

We're situating who gets what and which people get his ashes. I've already gotten what I needed and I'm just waiting to see if I get some of his ashes.

Now, the real reason you're here is to read this chapter, so, enjoy.
________________________________

You nodded and their singular eye looked you up and down. You carefully reached for their face and gently pressed your hand against it. "Yes, that's me, I'm Mom/Dad. I'm right here," you assured quietly. They leaned into your touch and oil leaked over into your hand staining it. It was coming from their missing socket. "What happened? Why are you so torn up?" you asked placing your other hand on the other side of their face. "I... I can't remember. All I remember is you." they stated wrapping their twitching fingers around your wrist. "I called you Mom/Dad. That's right, isn't it?" they asked leaning closer to your face. You nodded, unable to put your answer in words.

Some part of you hated this because you technically weren't their mother/father, you were their creator. Yet, some part of you felt warm and fuzzy when they called you that. Almost made you feel proud. Right now, you didn't mind that they called you so, their memory was so broken that if that is what they remembered then so be it. It was also the best option to keep them calm.

"Can one of you tell me what happened? Did the security cameras catch anything?" you asked looking around. "We caught Moondrop on his nightly protocols as per usual. He was attacked after trying to stop someone who broke in." a worker stated. You sighed and pulled your hands away steadying yourself on your crutch. "Okay, let's get you fixed up, I need to see what memory I can recover," you said carefully grabbing their hand and taking them over to the cylinder in the other room.

This was going to be a long day.

___

A week, a long, stressful, eventful week. You had fixed your creation, but minor bits and pieces of their memory were gone, you couldn't recover them. You never knew the number of things they watched and saved into his memory files. It made you smile, most of it was you.

You had gone through the most personal thing to your boys and that didn't sit well in your stomach. Personal information was something you held too close. You had your own demons and it was obvious that Moondrop and Sundrop had their own, keeping them to themselves rather than telling the alter. However, one stuck out to you.

See, Moon and Sun kept their memories in files, not redundant ones, specific detailed files meant for holding certain memories, that was what fascinated you. You may have built them but you realized something so valuable, so important. They were their own people, they weren't your creation anymore. They were their own and no one else's, and they didn't even realize it.

Nonetheless, there was a file that they shared willingly with one another. Labeled Mom/Dad. It was only you. It was locked when you tried to open it but you couldn't open it no matter what you tried, so you overrode it to them, letting them remember, it was theirs. You weren't going to intrude where they didn't want you. Everything major was put back in place. However, minor restricted files were not accessible to you so therefore not able to be brought back. They were glitched in purple and red.

It didn't matter, the major details were back online and that was all that mattered. You did your best not to snoop, it wasn't your business, as your business was not theirs either. Granted, they tried to make it theirs multiple times.

"Did you fix the problem?"

You jolted up and jerk your head over to see Loren. She scared you. She gave you a sheepish smile. "N-no, because there wasn't a problem. The database has a one-time security backup. It saves the majority of the files, the ones they need. I had to recover some, I tried not to snoop for... reasons." you explained and turned your laptop off.