Chapter 5 | A friend

UNEDITED

"You can understand me?" I stared at the dog with admiration.

"Woof." Understanding a person does not require words, my lady. If you truly wish to understand, one will always find a way.

"You sure have a way with words. What's your name?"

"Arf." A name is but a simple thing to disclose. If you do wish to know, I do not mind disclosing it.

"Uh.. Kurimiya-san, are you talking to Taroumaru?" The Shirasagi Princess asked, appearing in the hallway.

"Oh so that's his name. It suits you."

"Woof." It would be best if you pretend not to understand me, as I presume you don't wish to disclose your identity from the fact that you have hidden some of your features.

"Aww, you're a really cute dog, aren't you, Taroumaru?" I pet his head, and understanding appeared in Ayaka's eyes, letting me know that she had correctly misunderstood. Taroumaru was right; I didn't want anyone to know about that part of me.

"Woof." Hmph. Flattery will get you nowhere, my lady. I am a ninja dog."

"Kurimiya-san, let's head inside now. Thoma is waiting for us."

"Thoma as well?"

"Yes. This is something only we can do." With that mysterious smile, Ayaka lead me to the room where Thoma was seated inside, some tricolour dangos on a plate near him.

"Oh. Kurimiya-san." Thoma smiled and waved when he saw me come in. "Take a seat. We're just getting started on the hotpot."

He gestured to the pot filled with various ingredients, which were slowly being cooked.

"I didn't expect to see you here, Thoma. The renowned housekeeper extrao-"

Thoma was as fast as thunder to put his hand on my mouth, cutting me off from completing my sentence. He was red all the way to his ears, and I resisted the urge to laugh. This was quite fun.

"Who told you about that, Kurimiya-san?" He whispered.

"Itto of course. That red oni."

"Don't tell me he's been telling people that.."

"The housekeeper what?" Ayaka gave us a questioning glance, and Thoma grew even more flustered as I beamed at the Shirasagi Princess.

"The housekeeper extrao-"

"Please stop, Kurimiya-san."

He took his hand off and covered his face, at which I laughed.

"Okay, I won't."

"Hm?" Ayaka tilted her head. "What was that about?"

"Nothing, Shirasagi Princess. So what did we meet up here for?" I took a seat next to Thoma, who was still trying to calm down.

"Please, just call me Ayaka."

I raised a brow and she nodded.

"The reason why we're all here today is to none other than.."

Assassinate me for attempting an assassination? To put me in my place because I'm new? To track down enemies? To find out which tea to use for formal dinners?

"To plan a surprise birthday party for my brother."

"What? He has a birthday?"

Thoma laughed, clutching on his stomach as tears appeared in his eyes. "What..pfft..what do you mean by that, Kurimiya-san? Everyone has a birthday."