Chapter 21| Ragbros

UNEDITED

Dark red hair entered my field of vision, and so did a giant bird which flew towards me, missing my hair by inches. That wasn't the case for the abyss mage lying on the burning grass, his life flashing in his eyes. The abyss mage glanced at me, his eyes teary, as if he was someone who spent days in a desert seeing a person hold water. The red haired man glanced at me, unsure if I was an enemy.

It was then that I remembered what inazuma people did at shrines. I walked over to the burning abyss mage, and noticed how it was a hydro one. My mind flashed back to the times I was still under teacher's training and those things watched with glee after trapping me in one of their water bubbles. I clapped my hands twice like how I saw people do at shrines, and smiled.

"Rest in pieces."

The abyss mage started to run away, dragging his battered body back. The red haired man glanced at me, and stepped back, his eyes wary.

"You..are you a fatui?"

Does freedom enhance Mondstad people's senses or something? How did he even know? I wasn't even wearing the flashy fatui clothes. Was this guy a mind reader?

"No."

"You.."

"I'm not a fatui. Why would you-"

He pointed at the delusion.

"..oh."

"This is.. wait you have that too. Are you a fatui?" I drew my weapon.

"No, I stole it."

"No way, me too."

We looked at each other incredulously.

"Anyway, I'm not using it." He said confidently.

"Yeah, me neither."

Why did we sound like we were making excuses?

"Wait, how did you know I had it? You can't even see it."

"I can see the elemental trails on it. They're very unique."

Ayato appeared behind me, and looked back and forth between us.

"Like two tomatos on a field.." he muttered under his breath.

I shot him a glare, and so did Mr. Red hair.

"Who are you?" I finally remembered to ask.

He seemed to hesitate a little before giving in. "Diluc. You two don't look like you're from around here."

"We're travellers from Sumeru," Ayato replied swiftly, and I nodded like I didn't just forget all of that.

"Sumeru? You guys have travelled pretty far. Is it mondstad city you're trying to go to?" He raised a brow, and I noticed he had put his weapon away, so I did the same.

"We are, but we're currently lost." I said with a grin.

"Why do you look proud of that?" Ayato muttered under his breath, and I ignored him.

"Well, I can guide you to the city if you'd like. It's getting pretty dark," he offered.

"Oh. Thank you. Do you live in the city?"

"I run a tavern there."

He had started walking out of the forest and onto a road, and we followed him. For some reason, Ayato kept quiet the whole time.

"A tavern? Could we visit?" Taverns were ideal for information gathering. I should be able to find out where exactly that bastard hid in the city by tonight.