chapter 24: Heaven

There's good in the sinner. There's evil in the saint.

Caleb had stopped feeding before Sina's crumbled to the ground. Taking him in his arms, he headed to the bedroom where no one – neither in Heaven nor anywhere else – could judge them. He knew he'd found his salvation. Sina was his sacrament and he was an answer to his prayers. When he laid Sina on the bed, Caleb understood that he did not need forgiveness from God.

When Sunday came, Caleb decided to put on the priest's collar one last time. He would always believe and he would always hunger but he was not a priest. He never had been. God would never come closer no matter what he did. That was something he'd have to learn to accept.

As Delores and her minions stared up at him with an All-Holy look in their eyes, Cal's gaze shifted to Mr. Jackson. He smiled when he saw a secret look pass between Cook. E and Travis Cullen. Something like the way Sina had looked at him. Before he began the sermon, Caleb prayed Cook and Travis would find a way to be together. Somehow. Someday.

Sina's words of wisdom echoed in his ear. They warmed him and gave him hope where before he'd only felt eternal suffering. "This isn't wrong. We are not wrong. Our sins are going to be things we carry but if I'm carrying them with you then I'm good."

Looking at his congregation, he knew he could not save them because not everyone wanted salvation. Some wanted to burn and some were content watching others burn.

The storm had lasted for a week and wreaked havoc on Heaven. The farmers' lands took a beating and they began to blame Hally's Beauty Parlor and the abundant use of aerosol hairspray. Some said it was because Purgatory remained open throughout the pandemonium. And some, those walking on the tight-rope of faith, blamed God...again.

But Father Cal knew it was none of the above. It wasn't hairspray, it wasn't the strip club, it wasn't even God. It was just a terrible storm. And as storms begin, they also end.

Outside flickers of sunlight danced on the lawn. The grass and flowers having been brought to their knees by the rain and hail found a way to rise again. Defiant. Resilient.

Caleb touched the bible before him and began, "Good morning, brothers and sisters."

"It was a wonderful service, Father Caleb. Simply wonderful as always," Delores Cullen clasped Cal's hand in both of hers and gushed. "I always count the days until Sunday comes. It's the Lord's Day and we are blessed every Sunday." Smiling wide, she resembled a shark ready to attack. She leaned into Caleb and whispered, "If only more people would attend but alas, this poor town is full of sinners. Full of people of ill-repute. Of gossips and those who certainly do not want what's best for you."

Casting a look around, Cal saw the ones Delores was talking about. All her minions were huddled by the door waiting for her. He nodded and leaned in to reply. "I must agree with you."

By the coat rack, where the drippy raincoats and umbrellas were usually held. Cal saw Cook drop his scarf. Before the man realized it, Travis jogged over, picked it up, and handed it to him.

Oblivious to what was happening behind her, Delores let out a dramatic sigh and added. "If only we had more good folk."

Father Caleb saw the way Mr. Jackson's hand lingered a second longer on Travis'. "If only," he agreed.

He did not tell anyone he would be leaving. They'd figure it out when there was no church next Sunday. He suspected another priest would be arriving in Heaven sooner or later. Perhaps he'd be a good man. Good enough to put everything wrong right. Good enough to change things. But Cal doubted it.

The last of the congregation who'd arrived in their cars began to drive off as Sina walked through the churchyard right towards Cook. He pulled out a pack of cigarettes from his pocket – crumpled but new – and handed them to his friend.

Cal watched Cook tap Sina playfully on the head with the pack. "He picked up my scarf when it had fallen and gave it to me."

"Trav?"

"No, Gandhi. Yes, Trav. Loooordy! I could have died on the spot. I'm going to get the biggest cake Evan's has available and celebrate. You want to join or..." Cook looked over his shoulder at Caleb, smiled, then looked back to Sina, "you busy?"

Sina shrugged. "Rain-check?"

"Boy, spare me with any talk of rain. I'm going to the bakery before the wicked witch gets there and howls about how badly she needs the biggest cake. That woman doesn't need no cake on those hips."

"I'll see ya, Cookie." Sina twiddled his fingers.

Cook held up the pack of smokes and touched them to his head like a salute before heading off.

"Hey, Cal?" Sina called as he headed to the steps of the church. "Ready?"

"He Makes The Sun Rise On The Evil," Caleb whispered to himself as he stood on the threshold and watched Delores' car drive away. Then he turned and smiled at Sina, "And The Good."

"Cal?"

"Yes, Sina?"

"Ready to go?"

Caleb took one last look at his church. "Can I have one minute, Sina?"

"Hell, take two. We ain't never coming back here." Plopping down next to a patch of dandelions, Sina pulled his knees to his chest and looked up at the sky.

Re-entering Saint Agatha's, Caleb walked to the pulpit, took off his collar, and set it down. In the corner, near the sleeping Jesus, a little black spider spun her web. Twirling and spinning in a dark ballet.

"I'm ready," he whispered to the silent church then walked out towards Sina.

words: 984

total words: 23602

To all you wonderful people who read Heaven and left comments and feedback, I appreciate it! Trying to write a novella with a baby was a challenge but I did it. I finished it with hours to spare! I hope you all enjoyed this story and if you haven't, let me know how I could improve it. Much love to you all! x 

p.s. See, I can do happy endings where no one dies. :D