chapter 7: charity

Sina didn't wait till Sunday morning to leave his apartment. It was Saturday evening at a quarter to seven when he skulked into Cookie's tiny home with a suitcase and his backpack.

"You never owned much, did you, Sin?" Cookie greeted Sina at the door wearing a floral print kaftan and a long beaded necklace. When Sina hesitated by the entrance, Cookie gestured that he enter. "Well? What are you waiting for?"

Tapping his foot, Sina said, "To be invited in."

"Stop lollygagging and enter, boy." When a sharp gust of wind rolled in after Sina, Cookie shivered.

"You look like Mrs. Roper," Sina commented as he dropped his baggage in the hall.

Tossing his head back, Cookie laughed. "I'd make one hell of a Helen Roper, boy. But I'd be taking no shit from no Stanley. For Heaven's sake, the man was toxic."

Sina shrugged as he lowered himself in a nearby chair. "I binged watched Three's Company until Chrissy left. It lost its appeal after that." Extracting a pack of Camel's from his pocket, he raised it to Cookie. "I owe you big."

Big, Cookie mouthed and sat by Sina. "So?" Gesturing to the bags, Cookie raised a brow. "Doesn't look like much of a life."

Offering Cookie a cigarette, Sina smirked. "You think I actually ever owned anything I'd ever want to keep? Don't even want my own skin and bones at times."

"Oh, babe," Cookie uttered gently. "Sometimes you break my heart."

Through crooked smoke Os, Sina looked at his friend. "I don't need your pity."

"But you need my charity."

Sina slouched low into the chair and grumbled as he reached for an orange ashtray and rested it on his belly. "Thank you for letting this poor lost soul stay with you for a week."

Taking a long drag, Cookie spoke, "You know I'd love for you to stay with me forever. It would be like an endless slumber party full of moodiness and woe," he teased, "but when aunt May returns from her holy pilgrimage -"

"From the holy land of Viva Las Vegas!" Sina chimed in, then mock-crossed himself but it was nothing more than his hand waving around him like he was trying to ward off a mosquito.

Exhaling, Cookie crossed his legs. "She'll need her room back and for motherfucking sake, where did you learn to cross yourself like a broken Muppet?"

Sina groaned.

Cookie leaned forward as he spoke, "I need to teach you about God, son."

"I don't doooo God. Don't do church. I think you know that since I've said it about half a trillion times."

Cookie rested his cigarette in the ashtray. He went to speak but paused when someone's child ran past his window screaming about a lost baseball. "Motherfucking Ames boy." He reached out and touched Sina's leg. "You'll go to hell if you don't believe."

Irritated by his friend's words, Sina shook his leg until Cookie moved his hand away. "I'm a homeless stripper who sucks cock for a fistful of dollars. I do drugs and I can't even afford a pack of cigarettes." Narrowing his eyes, he straightened up and hissed, "I am in hell." Grinding the remainder of his cigarette angrily, Sina rose. "Look, I'm an asshole. You mean well and I'm sorry." Feeling the sting of tears he clenched his jaw and breathed deep.

"No need to apologize," Cookie said softly and got up as well. "I may have crossed a line." Reaching to Sina's waist, he curled his fingers around a belt loop and pulled him for a hug. "You're my friend. Possibly my only real friend and I care. That's all."

As Cookie held him, Sina let him. But he didn't hug back. "I know," he uttered into Cookie's warm chest then pulled back. "I just... fuck it. I got to take a walk. Need air."

"Alright." Handing him a spare key, Cookie nodded and watched him go. As an unexpected wind howled outside, he moved to the window and watched the sky darken. 

words: 675