CHAPTER FOURTEEN

┈ ⋞ 〈 ⏣ 〉 ⋟ ┈

┈ ⋞ 〈 ⏣ 〉 ⋟ ┈

THERE'S A TIME where she would get off her very long shifts and frequently be covered in blood. Mostly her hands. The stench of blood never went away, the scent metallic and coppery. Most of the blood hadn't ended up in death, but a lot of them were results of terrible, horrible things.

The blood smell mixed in with antiseptic.

Trying to get away from the penetrating smell meant that she'd enter the dark, unlit hallways of the hospital. The empty ones were hardly anyone occupied the rooms, less nurses and doctors were bustling around to save the last bit of life.

Less overwhelming.

This time, the sound of footsteps tiptoeing came from the hallway. Normally, she would have been scared, but Seraphina had seen enough zombies that ghosts wouldn't phase her anymore. But the sound was accompanied by a shrieking and fleshy noise.

Like the sound of sloshing guts. Shadows on her face contorted it to a horrendous grimace. The figure with elongated fingers reached out towards her and...

Well, that was a dream.

It wasn't reality.

Going back from the abrupt flashback, the parasitic monster on the wall revealed a bare chested Salazar molded into the flesh. Strings of slime hung around his body, a moldy green. A disgusting, putrid mess. Raining down with bullets, Salazar yelped in pain as it hit him.

In the crucial moment while distracted, the monster's tentacle-arm swooped the floor they were standing on. Quick with his reflexes, Leon stepped away as Seraphina got scooped up into the grip of the monster. Groaning as it caved in tightly on her body, she screamed as any longer, her body would burst.

Stabbing the flesh with a dagger, Seraphina struggled as it didn't seem like it would relent. The sound of Salazar cackling hysterically in the background didn't help, as he was just trying to taunt them in the midst of their suffering.

"Let me go...you overgrown bastard!"

Even if his insides were churning with anxiety, Leon showed no sign as he aimed back at Salazar. If he was controlling the body of the monster, then with the host dead, it would be no longer.

That's all. Sounded easier said than done.

The shotgun shells nearly made Leon loose grip of his weapon, but he held on tightly as Salazar took multiple shots. Powerfully knocking him back, Salazar let go of Seraphina as she dropped straight to the floor.

Coughing from getting the wind knocked out of her, Seraphina rolled over as she saw things crawling out of the monstrous mass. The disgusting bugs were massive spiders, crawling around creepily on its spindly legs.

"You alright?" Leon held out his hand, bringing her up back onto her feet before aiming for the giant yellow eye hovering around. Putting himself in front, the loud noise of the gun going off blasted into the bulbous eye.