CHAPTER NINE

┆ ° ♡ • ➵ ✩ ◛ °

┆ ° ♡ • ➵ ✩ ◛ °

IN THE PAST, there were only two ways Seraphina could solve things in the matter of survival. Do things on your own to not burden anyone else, even if you die in the end. Survive with the best of your life. Stephen taught her it was pride or honor on the line. Nothing else.

Seraphina didn't want to go with the second option, not anytime soon...

Hordes of Ganados surrounded the church, which proved Saddler's point of controlling people under the influence of the supposed power. They held torches of fire, blades and various weapons, yelling at the three.

"¡Allí está, mátalo!"

"¡Cógelo!"

Swarms of them ran towards the three. Seraphina shielded Ashley from the onslaught, bringing her away from Leon who was busy shooting them off. A barrel sat on a cart on top of the hill, set on fire by the flames spreading around.

Aiming for the wheels, Seraphina used the pistol to make the cart run and roll down the hill, imploding all the villagers in the way and bursted into flames. They weren't very smart to leave fire hazards scattered around, but she has no time to ponder about it.

Heat and sticky humidity mixed in the grey sky, smoke from the fire darkening the air. What mattered most was Ashley being under her arms, guarded away from the danger. A certain thought appeared in her mind.

Save the innocents before yourself.

That is your duty as a nurse.

But I didn't have much of a choice, did I?

Even as all the Ganados fell dead, the smell of blood remained in the air. The coppery smell stuck to Seraphina, feeling like she was breathing in the awful liquid. She let go of Ashley and stopped walking, lagging behind before the two noticed.

"Tenemos que irnos.Ya es hora de rezar. Ella merece morir. Tu sabes lo que hiciste...Seraphina."

What...?

A clot of blood stained her hand.

Seraphina coughed and struggled to breathe for a moment, collapsing on her knees. It felt like her lungs were being squeezed and about to burst. A concerned Ashley went to her side, holding onto her arm.

"What's wrong?" Ashley squeezed her arm reassuringly. "Are you hurt?"

Leon was mright by her side. He felt how cold her skin was getting, besides the pounding rain. Seraphina shivered and had a warm forehead, her skin blooming with heat. A red flush dusted her cheeks, even in the middle of the cold rain.