Chapter 5

Stef's POV

Our lips were locked...and she wasn't pulling away.
I was kissing her, and she was kissing me back. It was beautiful.
And she put my hand on her breast. She must've had some kind of trust for me in that moment.

We made out for about five minutes.
When we stopped, Lena smiled at me.

"Maybe it's not an experimental rebound." She said. She turned around and started to leave, when she stopped. "What time do you get off of work?"

"I usually leave between 6 and 8." I answered.

"Well come over, when you get off." She closed the car door behind her and walked back into the building mysteriously.
I sat in my car and breathed a sigh of relief. I kissed her, and it felt so good. I was gay and proud.
--------

When I got back to the station, Captain called me into his office.

"What's up, captain?" I asked, walking in.

"Just wanted to let you know that our perp from the other day is done."

"He was found guilty?" I asked.

"Yup. Good work, Foster." He looked down at his paperwork, then looked back up at me. "One more thing, officer."

I turned around to face him again.

"I'm promoting you. To Sheriff."

"Wh...wait....really?"

"Yes, really. You've earned it. Tomorrow will be your first day in your new position, Sheriff Foster."

"Wow, thank you, captain. Thank you so much." I smiled and walked out of the office, where all of my fellow officers were crowded. They started to clap when I walked out.

"You deserve it, Sheriff!" Said Doug, over all the applause.

"You guys knew about this??" I asked happily after the applause had died down.

"Of course we did." Said one officer.

"When you left the other night, Captain had a meeting with all of us to tell us about our new Sheriff starting tomorrow." Doug added. "We're so proud." He said, hugging me. It was a little awkward, because of what had happened before, but I hugged him back and thanked him for being such an awesome partner for so long.

Once I had hugged and thanked all of the other officers there, I headed to my desk and texted Lena.

I said:
"You won't believe what just happened."

She replied two minutes later:
"What? Is everything ok?"

I replied with:
"Everything's fine. I was just promoted! I am now 'Sheriff Foster'.

She said:
"Oh my gosh! I'm so proud! Congratulations!"

I typed back:
"Thank you! I'll see you tonight, Lena."

Working through the rest of the day was hard, knowing that I would soon be going to Lena's apartment.

Once it was 7:30, I decided to head home.

As I put on my coat, I heard Doug behind me.
"Hey Sheriff, a bunch of us are going to get some dinner. Wanna come?"

"Can't." I said. "I, um, I have a date."

"I thought you said there was no guy?" He said. He seemed disappointed.
We had been friends for so long and I decided I owed it to him to at least tell him I was gay.

"There isn't." I said.

"What?" He squinted his eyes in confusion.

"Her name is Lena. And she's a woman. I'm gay, Doug."

"I know." He said, smirking.

"Wait what?"

He laughed to himself
"Remember that officer, oh man what was her name....Colleen! That was it. The one that Captain transferred here, but then she got transferred back out."

"Yeah...what about her...?" I was trying to act like I didn't know what he was talking about, but I did. I knew exactly what he was talking about.

"C'mon Stef, we've been friends for years. I know you guys had a thing for each other."

I laughed, because I realized I shouldn't try to hide it anymore.

"You knew...? Did anyone else know?"

"I don't know, but you made it pretty obvious." He laughed.

"Oh no I'm so embarrassed." I said laughing.

"No, don't be embarrassed about who you are, Stef. Don't." He said, putting a friendly hand on my shoulder.

"Thanks, Doug. I guess I knew I was gay all along, I just denied it. But, if you knew too...what was that about the other night...? When you...came onto me?" I asked.

He laughed at himself.
"I figured I'd just try. You're beautiful and kind and such a good friend. But it's ok Stef. I'd rather be friends and know that you have what makes you happy. And if that is Lena, than it's Lena. I accept that, and I accept you."

I smiled at him. He was such a great man.

"Thank you, Doug. And thank you for being such an amazing partner for 20 something years. I'll miss you, when I go to my new position." I gave him a long hug.

"Whoever my new partner is, they won't be half as good as you. I know they won't. I'll miss you, Stef. Thanks for an awesome 20 years."

I smiled at the man who had done so much for me and for my career, and started walking towards the front door.

"See you Monday, Foster." He said as I left.
-----------

When I got back to Central. I couldn't wait to see Lena. But I ran upstairs to my place first so I could change out of my uniform and lock up my gun.

I took my hair down and straightened it. I put on a pair of jeans and a tank top with an unbuttoned plaid shirt over it. I took some deep breaths and headed down to the first floor of the building.

When I got to her door, I wondered if we would kiss again tonight...I hoped that we would. I loved it when we kissed earlier.

I knocked on the door. It felt like an eternity waiting for her to open it. My palms were sweaty and my heart was beating fast.

Finally she answered the door and I saw her gorgeous face.

"Hey beautiful." She said and kissed my cheek. I wasn't expecting it, but I loved it.

"Hi Lena. How are you?" I asked her.

"I'm good. Come on in."

As we headed to the kitchen, I noticed a bouquet of flowers and a box of chocolates on the table.

"For you." She said. "Just to say 'Congratulations, Sheriff'." She smiled and I smiled back.
"Thank you. So much."
I kissed her forehead.

I was amazed and astonished with how thoughtful and generous this woman was. I wanted her. I wanted her all to myself. She was mysterious, but it somehow drew me closer to her. I would do everything I could to get Lena, because I was falling in love with her.
I really was.

AN: Thanks for reading! Make sure to let me know what you think and vote:) more to come!