Chapter 5: A Little Bird

❝ I'm youth, I'm joy, I'm a little bird that has broken out of the egg. 

~~~

    “How much time do you think has passed in the real world since I came here?”

   Whitney gritted her teeth and refrained from saying something sarcastic in return.  When will the questions end?  She really hated the Neverlander Reaction #4.  It wasn’t like she didn’t want to be helpful or anything; she was just an easily annoyed person.  “I’m not sure," she replied honestly.  "Time here is really screwed up.  I didn’t think I’d been here for so long until you told me it had been three years.  I would say it’s been maybe...twenty-four hours?”

   Niall opened his mouth, but closed it quickly after Whitney glared at him.  “I’m not gonna swear!” he assured her.  “But it doesn’t feel like that long.”

   “That should be a good thing, right?”

   “I’ll decide on that later.”

   Whitney shrugged.  She watched his facial expressions for a while, and before he could say another word, she quickly said, “Spit it out.  I know you have more questions you want answered.”

   He squinted at her.  “How do you know?”

   “Niall,” she said in a tone similar to one a mother would use, “your face is a dead giveaway.  And I’m pretty sure you don’t know everything about Neverland yet.”

   “The question’s not about Neverland, though.”

   “Then what’s it about?”

   “Um,” he paused, worried about how she would react.  “It’s about you.”

   Whitney sighed.  “Oh boy.  Should I be worried?”

   “No, I just wanted to know how old you are.”

   Whitney leaned into the trunk of her tree, resting her head against the prickly bark.  “It’s 2013, right?  That makes me nineteen, I think.  Yeah.  Nineteen.  My birthday’s in April.”

   The Irish boy furrowed his eyebrows.  “You don’t look nineteen,” he stated bluntly.

   “I don’t know how old I’m supposed to look.  I haven’t seen myself in three years.”

   “You look...” Niall studied her features closely.  Wavy dark brown hair framed her head and stopped at her ribcage.  She had a slim figure, demure brown eyes, and lips that occasionally curled into a smile.  When she stood next to him, her height allowed her to look him straight in the eye without having to look up or down.  But her face – her face didn’t match her actual age.  Her maturity and attitude betrayed her youthful looks.  “You look more like you’re sixteen or seventeen,” he concluded.