Chapter 3: Real

❝ Of course the Neverland had been make-believe in those days, but it was real now, and there were no night-lights, and it was getting darker every moment. 

~~~

    “Hey, Whitney?  Am I allowed to talk to you now?”

    “I never said you weren’t allowed to talk to me.”

    “You told me to leave you alone five minutes ago.”

    “Oh, is that why you weren’t saying anything?”

    “Obviously.”

    “Well, I didn’t mean you were banned from talking to me altogether.”

    “So can we talk now?  I’m still kinda freaking out.”

    “Of course you are.  What are we gonna talk about?”

    “Neverland.”

    “Do we have to?”

    “Yes.”

    “Fine.”

    With that, Niall scooted over to sit across Whitney, joining her under the shade of her tree.  He almost didn’t want to ask the question lingering in the back of his mind, but he had to know.  “So, um, what happens if you’re, you know, trapped here?  What happens to people who never find their matches and wake up?”

    “What do you think?  They’re stuck.”

    “Forever?”

    “Until they die.”

    “Fuck.”

    Whitney held back an exasperated sigh at his cursing.  “Neverland is a state of mind,” she explained.  “If you’re conscious in the the real world, you’re not conscious here and vice versa.  Neverland is unique because it’s dependant on whether or not you’re breathing in the real world.  If you die in the real world, you die in Neverland.  You can be here for a long time and not go anywhere because you never find your match or your body never heals.”

    “Why can’t some people find their matches, though?  I mean, it shouldn’t be that hard.”

    She smirked.  “You wouldn’t know because you’ve never tried.  You have  to ask every single Neverlander what their left wrist says and that’s pretty damn hard.  Not only that, but some people’s matches actually died.”  Whitney paused and added softly, “I knew someone who died just minutes before her match came along to find her.”