~Chapter 10~

" Shortie! Get up!"

I opened my eyes to see Jake leaning over me. " What time is it?" I asked, sitting up and rubbing my eyes.

" 9. I'm leaving in an hour whether you are ready or not."

" Ok," I mumbled.

Jake left the room, and I walked slowly to my dresser. I grabbed a pair of clothes to wear underneath Jake's gear, and I rushed downstairs. I walked through the living room where Jake was watching TV, and then through the kitchen. My mom and great grandmother were sitting at the table. " Well, hello stranger!" My mom said cheerfully, smiling at me.

" Hi," I replied breathlessly, and went into the bathroom to change.

I did my hair, and put on a little bit of makeup. I put on a pair of light leggings and a t-shirt that says fox on it. I walked back out into the kitchen to see a Tim Horton's coffee cup and a bag beside it on the table. I looked at my mom. " Mine?"

She nodded. " Yeah. Your bike is already loaded. Just need to put your gear in the truck."

I pulled a chocolate chip muffin out of the bag, and drank my coffee. " So," I said, " How's life?"

" Really?" My mom laughed, " You make it sound like we are old and you moved out."

" Well I sort of did. I have been here for 2 weeks straight already."

" Well, nothing really happened. Oh! A new couple moved in beside us. They have 3 kids."

I looked at my mom, and my jaw dropped. " 3? No way."

" Yes way," My mom shrugged, taking a sip of her coffee, " the youngest is 2. Oldest is 10. The middle child is 5."

" You may have a babysitting job soon!" My great grandmother exclaimed, and I nearly choked on my coffee.

" I hope your joking," I said in a duh tone.

We continued chatting until 9:45am, and Jake tapped me on the shoulder. " Time to go," He said, looking over at my great grandmother, " Are you sure you aren't co-."

" I'm sure, Jake. But good luck, Kaylie!" She replied.

I smiled, and got up to hug her goodbye.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We arrived at Razy's 10 minutes after we left my house. Jake stopped the large, red Dodge truck in front of a small trailer. " I rented it for the day," He clarified, looking in the mirror at me, " I figured you would want some privacy. It has a small couch in it too."

" Jake that must've cost a fortune!" My mom exclaimed, smiling at him.

" Not really. Also... Diesel is in there waiting for you!"

I squealed, and pulled my helmet over my head. I jumped out of the truck, and ran to the trailer door. I opened it, and Diesel ran up to me, barking. " Hey, boy," I giggled, looking into his perfect blue eyes.

Jake came into the trailer a few minutes after, and sat down on the light brown couch. " So," He started, looking around, " The races you are in start at 12. You just race in one class, so we can start practicing around 11:30."

" How long is my race?"

" It's an Experienced race, so I think it was 10 laps?"

My jaw dropped. Thoughts like: Why would this fool enter me in an experienced race, and, I'm so excited for this! ran through my mind. Even if I don't place, I will still have fun trying.

11:30am came quickly. I pulled on Jake's gear, and tied my hair into a tight bun. I put the helmet on, and placed my orange goggles over my eyes. Jake held the door of the trailer open for me, and I saw my mom sitting out in the sun in her chair. She looked at me, and smiled. " Your race is first! So once they hand out the prizes for the Experienced Class we can leave right away if you want."

I nodded, and Jake took my bike off the stand. I jumped on, and kick-started it. " Okay," Jake yelled, " I want you to go around the track twice! I will watch you from the stands!"

I nodded my head, and put my bike into first. I let the clutch out slowly, and turned onto the track. Instantly, my heart races and I smiled at the adrenaline rush. I shifted to second, then third gear, and take the first jump with ease. There were 9 jumps in total, and none of them were really high.

I raced around, and did my first lap. A crowd had appeared, and it encouraged me to go faster. I finished my second lap, and saw Jake clapping and smiling on the stands. I drove over to the trailer, and my mom was taking pictures. " I would rather you be in your own gear, but this will do!"

I smiled, and placed my bike onto the stand. I felt a tap on my shoulder and saw a boy about 5 standing in front of me. " Can I get a picture?" He asked, his big blue eyes glowing.

His mom was smiling, and I nodded slowly. I stood beside the boy as the picture was taken, and he looked up at me. " Good luck in your race!"

" Thank you," I replied in my deepest voice.

He walked away, holding his mothers hand, and the loudspeaker buzzed to life. " First race is the Experienced Class! Can all riders make their way to the start line!"

I gasped, and Jake slapped my shoulder. " Ride like you did in practice, and you will for sure win."

" I will try," I said.

I kick-started my bike, and made my way to the start line. I positioned myself beside Mark, and another racer stopped beside me. I turned to see who it was, and noticed the green eyes staring back at me. Kolby.

" Race will begin in 3," The loudspeaker announced, " 2." I leaned forward. " 1! Go!"

I hit the throttle, and shifted to 3rd gear in less than 5 seconds. I was behind Mark for the first 2 laps, then I was in first for 4. Mark fell on the 3rd lap, and just layed on the ground motionless as we passed. For the next 3 laps, I was behind Kolby. The last lap would continue with me and Kolby neck and neck. Why does this have to be him beside me? I asked myself.

The last jump loomed ahead of me, and I instinctively pulled the throttle back as far as it would go. I launched into the air, and landed on the other side, perfectly. The checkered flag went down as I crossed it first, and I heard loud screams as I passed the bleachers. I smiled to myself, and turned into the middle of the track in front of the screaming crowd.

The awards person smiled at me, and she held out a check for $150 and gave me a pair of lime green gloves. " Congratulations."

I nodded in appreciation, and Cole pulled up next to me. " I want to see who you are. Take the helmet off, man."

Everyone continued saying this, so I sighed and undid the strap. I pulled it off my head, and the awards lady warmly smiled at me. " Kaylie," I introduced, shaking her hand.

The crowd gasped, and all the boys looked at me in shock. Except one was smiling like crazy. Kolby.