~Chapter 28~

" Kaylie, you're shaking," Kolby said sympathetically.

I looked down at my hands, and noticed that I was trembling. I grabbed the coffee mug on the kitchen table, and took a sip. I was already on my second cup today, and my nerves were still out of the roof. Jake was outside loading my bike onto the truck while me and Kolby were eating a quick breakfast. " I'm fine," I replied through clenched teeth.

" You don't look fine."

" It's just nerves, ok?"

Kolby flinched at my tone, and his eyes flashed with hurt. I buried my head in my hands, and felt a tap on my shoulder. I glanced up, and saw Kolby with his arms outstretched. I jumped up, and ran into them. He hugged me tightly, and I started to feel my heart rate slow down. " I didn't mean to snap," I murmured.

" I know. You're just nervous, but you will do fine. Trust me."

Before I could say anything else, Jake burst through the door. I walked over to him, and he avoided eye contact. " Your... Bike... It's gone," He said through deep breaths.

I stood completely still, not able to say a word. I opened my mouth, but nothing came out. Everyone that knows me knows that my dirt bike is my baby. Nobody except people I really trust can touch it. So when I heard that, my whole world shut down.

" What do you mean it's gone?" Kolby asked loudly, coming to my side.

" I checked everywhere," Jake replied, still avoiding eye contact, " Not even a tire tread anywhere."

Pushing Jake out of the way, I ran outside. No, this can't be happening. I ran to the shed, completely oblivious to Jake laughing behind me. Glancing around wildly, I couldn't find anything. I walked over to the truck, defeated, and I looked up to see my perfect bike already loaded onto the truck.

I blinked a few times, and then narrowed my eyes as I looked at Jake. He was holding his side, and laughing hysterically. Kolby was at his side, looking at Jake with narrowed eyes. " You jerk!" I yelled, throwing my arms in the air, " It's right there! Why would you do that?"

Jake stopped laughing instantly, and he looked at me with innocent eyes. " I told you I would get you back."

" Jake! If you wanted to get me back, you should've done something other than had my bike involved! You know that's my prized possestion!"

" I didn't know how else to get you back!"

I walked up to Jake, and glared at him through narrowed eyes. " I suggest you stay in the truck while me and Kolby go get the rest of the stuff," I threatened.

" Ok?" Jake replied, " Sorry."

" Yeah," I said over my shoulder as I walked into the cabin.

Kolby followed me closely behind as I walked to the last few bags. " Are you ok?" He asked causiuosly.

" Yeah," I replied, " Can you get my gear and helmet?"

Kolby nodded slowly, and I made my way back outside. Opening the back door of the truck, I threw my bags inside that I would need to get through the day. I jumped in the front seat of the truck beside Jake, and we sat in silence while we waited for Kolby. " I thought it would be a good joke," Jake murmured, " I didn't think you would freak out that bad."

" Yeah," I muttered, " I hope you know we aren't even."

" What?"

" Well, last night you scared me, then I kicked you. We were even then, but you told me my bike was gone as a joke. So, I should be the one getting you back now."

I looked over at Jake, and he looked as if he was about to say something when Kolby jumped into the truck. We both turned to look at Kolby, and once he was done fastening his seat belt, he turned to us. " What did I do?" He asked, confusion clouding his eyes.

" Nothing. Let's get going," Jake muttered, turning the truck on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We arrived at the large track in an hour. Nobody spoke the entire way, the only thing I did was grasp Kolby's hand while we drove.

I looked out the windshield at the dirt track. There were 15 jumps, and one set of whoops. The last jump was the hardest; it wasn't just steep, it was also tall.

I slid out of the seat, and Kolby jumped on the back of the truck. " Um, Kaylie?" He asked.

" Yeah?"

" We forgot the ramp..."

I sighed, and jumped onto the back of the truck. Kolby jumped down, and Jake stood beside him. " If you can push it to the end of the tail gate, I'm sure we can get it down," Jake said.

I nodded, and took the cables off my bike. I pushed it backwards, then turned it so that it was sideways on the tailgate. Jake and Kolby nodded, and I let it down slowly. Jake grabbed the front tire, and Kolby grabbed the back. I jumped off the tail gate, and Jake grabbed my arm. " We need to get registered," He said.

I nodded, and walked to the registration trailer. I went inside, and the girl behind the desk smiled warmly at me. " Name, age, province, and country please."

" Kaylie Skye, 16, PEI, Canada."

" Alright. We have you registered into the race. Good luck!"

I smiled, and went back outside of the trailer. Jake followed closely behind me. " Are you going to keep ignoring me all day?" He asked.

" Obviously," I muttered, walking over to my bike.

The loudspeaker buzzed to life. " Can all racers go to the start line to start the race?"

I quickly pulled my gear on, and sat on my bike. I pulled the helmet over my head, then my goggles. I kick-started the bike, and drove to the gates, passing the already filled bleachers. Finally picking a spot, I turned off my bike as a man walked in front of us. " Hello, racers! You will be racing a 10 lap race, and the prizes will be 1 million for first, $5000 for second, and $3000 for third. Here are the rules."

I listened contently as he said the rules, and then finally walked off the track. We all started our bikes in sync, and I leaned forward, watching the gate. The gates dropped, and we sped off in a cloud of dust.