Chapter Thirteen: Eclipse

Trigger Warning (TW): Please be aware that sexual assault is addressed in this chapter and the scene is described. I will put another trigger warning before the scene so you can decide if you wish to proceed with reading it. Please note that I will ALWAYS let you know when something like this is happening because I know it can be very triggering to the audience. This version does not go into much detail, it's mainly just implied. If you are looking for something darker, check out the mature version of Blood Born on my Wattpad account. 

Halston's POV:

Eclipse was an obsidian sphere with no windows, and larger than the surrounding buildings. It looked odd from a distance, drawing the attention of young curious adults. The sphere could be viewed from any skyscraper in Seattle. The environment was louder than I was used to, especially given the enhanced hearing when we teleported to my office on the second floor of Eclipse. It was the most popular club in Seattle with a waitlist a mile long. It was the newest installment in a long line of exclusive clubs and bars. There was something to be said about the mystery surrounding the owner, or so, I heard.

Cassian was the inspiration behind the club though because I wanted to give him a safe place to have fun. Another project I had in the works was my club Nightworld and Everlight which were set to open within the year. Each club was specifically catered to supernatural creatures. The trick was creating this hidden society where vampires and werewolves were comfortable mingling with one another. It was still a work in progress, but after some testing, I found that many of the creatures were willing to interact in the same environment. As for the drinking, I found a way to infuse the blood of humans with alcohol which offered the same effects for vampires. The science behind it was complex, but Cassian was a more than willing participant when it came to trials.

"I'll take this." He smiled, picking up the night blood, and pouring it into a glass. I rolled my eyes but didn't say anything. Cass placed the rest of the night blood into the mini-fridge and walked with me down the spiral staircase. There were people everywhere - crowded around tables playing cards and drinking at the bar shoulder to shoulder, their silhouettes ignited by a red backlight. Several plush booths were arranged in comfortable settings and packed full of people, but it was the center of the club that drew everyone's attention. The dance floor was caved in, holding bodies like water in a basin. They moved against a stream of red light. Overhead, the ceiling was lined with crystal and wrought-iron chandeliers.

"Let's go!" Cassian pulled me out onto the ground floor, then up to the bar.

"I would like a margarita." He shouted over the music, throwing his cash on the bar to keep up the appearance that we did not own the club. "And I want this woman," he glanced at me, "to have a drink in her hand all night." There was more than enough money to cover my drinks and give the bartender and his coworkers enough to pay their rent for the next two months.

The man let out a grunt in response, handing me my drink. "Dance." Cass smiled, pulling me to the floor with him. I downed the first drink, wanting to get a head start so I could get out of my head, and to my surprise, a waiter appeared less than a minute later with another drink.

"Money." I mused, "it works wonders."

Cassian finished his drink, nodding. "It's what all these humans strive for." What we strove for when our time was fleeing and money wasn't limitless. Time was also a highly sought-after item, but what do you strive for when money and time are eternal?

Happiness. Love. Acceptance. Those were the first answers to pop into my head. Would I spend the remainder of my days trying to chase an unattainable goal?

A woman in her mid-twenties offered me a suggestive smile, and I finished my second drink before offering my hand to her. She had strawberry-blonde hair with vibrant green eyes.