Chapter Twelve: Heart of Destruction

Jacob's POV:

Halston had been meeting with Edward for the last four hours. Her absence made me anxious, which was why I was pacing back and forth in her living room. 

I was grateful for Embry's consideration when purchasing the long black couch because it was comfortable enough to sleep on and long enough for stretching out. I must have dozed off shortly after laying down because it was the purr of a sports car out front that woke me.

 I didn't recognize the scent of the person who stepped out, but I immediately noticed the lack of a heartbeat. A vampire but they didn't smell like a vampire. I paused. Like Halston? I heard it pause outside of the front door, so I got off the couch and opened it. Outside stood a male nearly the same height as me. His skin was tanned, reminding me of a person who spent his weekends on the beach. His eyes were the same golden brown as the Cullen's, suggesting that he did drink blood. 

"You must be Jacob." His voice was low, but it had a lighthearted feel. I blocked off the entrance to the door, "and you are?"

"Cassian Blake. I'm Halley's friend." He kept the information brief, giving me the bare minimum. He stood about six foot four and was built like a boulder.

"She's not here." He laughed at my response. 

"Yeah, I kind of figured that with you guarding the door. Can I come in?" He asked, but Cassian was already moving into the doorframe before I could respond. 

"If Halston wants you gone when she gets home." I started, moving from the door to let him in.

Cassian help up his hands, "Then I'll leave, but I doubt that will be the case. We spent the last month together in Hawaii."

He flashed me a knowing smile, trying to throw me off. Now when my eyes considered him, I noticed his dark curly hair that was thrown up in a bun, the full facial hair, as well as his easy smile. Pieces of this man reminded me of myself. 

"Don't worry, it wasn't like that. She just got me caught up on all the drama." He rolled his eyes, taking a seat on the couch. He paused, considering his words, "well, it was like that. It has been like that in the past, and probably will be in the future, but it wasn't like that while we were together in Hawaii."

I gave him a confused look."It's a friends with benefits relationship." 

He sighed, propping his legs up on the coffee table. 

I felt the jealousy rise to my face but took a seat in the chair across from him. "Why does she want you here?"

"Maybe you should ask her that." He countered, his expression growing darker before sighing again. "Halston and I are a team. I'm used to hearing from her every day, so when she came to Forks the experience was different. Then when I learned about Italy," we both cringed at the mention of that place. 

"I just didn't want her to get hurt down here." He gave me a pointed look, "in more ways than one."I met his comment with silence, but I understood what he was getting at. He was down here to ensure that Halston didn't come back to him broken. I understood the position that he was in, and I was bothered that Halston chose to confide in him rather than me. Was he another person I would compete with? 

"Oh," he got up from the couch, and in a flash, he was looking at the bookshelf full of board games. He picked out Ticket-to-Ride, holding it up with amusement on his face. 

"Wanna play?"

"No." I gave him an odd look. We weren't friends, and I didn't plan on being friends with a Cold Blood. But your mate is a Cold Blood, and he is her best friend. At least he's not a Cullen. And he doesn't smell bad. I considered this for a moment.