Chapter Eleven: Coming Home

Jacob's POV: 

A month had passed and there was still no word from Halston. The Cullens were back, but Halston was still gone. If it weren't for the sincerity in the male vampire's eyes, I would have sworn they killed her on that suicide mission.

I spent nearly all my time away from Forks, not being able to bear the thought of being home while Halston was out there, doing god knows what. I wasn't worried about who she might be with, just that she was safe. Why didn't she call me? You wouldn't have let her go without you. 

My pack tried to help me track her down, but with teleportation, her scent vanished along with any traces of her. While she was in Italy, Embry took to recruiting some of the younger shifters from the reservation to help him renovate her house. Eventually, Quill joined in, and while I was in town, I spent my time between Halston's house and Sam's. 

I didn't ask many questions about Embry's vision for the house, but slowly it turned from looking like a home owned by a middle-aged bachelor into a home owned by a young adult woman. He kept Charlie's belongings, knowing she wouldn't want to get rid of them, storing them in the attic.

 I suggested that since Halston no longer slept, to create an art studio out of Charlie's former room. She always loved painting, so having a space specifically for creative thoughts might be something she would benefit from. I considered buying one of the houses on the Reservation for her, but I didn't want her to feel pressured to live there with me. 

I was certain that being with Edward had resurfaced only feelings, but I didn't give myself a chance to figure out how I felt about that. He and I had an agreement that if either of us heard from Halston, we would inform the other. Neither of us wanted to be left in the dark. It wasn't so much the fact that they were hiding out in that mansion of theirs, but rather the fact that Cullen thought he still had a claim to Halston after all the pain he put her through. 

I was the one who helped her find a sense of normality once he left her for dead in the woods. I took a deep breath, walking up to Embry who was painting the living area walls an off-white.

 "We just need to get some furniture and we'll be done with the house," he smiled, clearly happy with the work. 

"I think Halston will love this if she comes back.

 "When she comes back." Embry corrected. He had more faith in Hals' return than I did.

Jacob's POV:

Two more days went by and Halston still was not home. I tried calling and texting, but her phone went straight to voicemail. I was constantly on edge. How was I supposed to relax when the woman I loved was gone? Being away from her was different this time now that I had imprinted on her. It was like a part of my soul was missing, and I didn't know how to get it back. 

Halston's POV

If the world wasn't so big, maybe I could travel until I finally found her, but I knew my chances were slim to none. Halston wouldn't be found until she wanted to be.

In all honesty, I would have been home yesterday if the angst of walking into the house I destroyed wasn't weighing on my mind. I didn't want to show up at Jacob's or Edward's house. 

After a day of coaching myself, I finally pulled my Aphrodite 9XV into the driveway. There was no one in the house, not even the familiar Chevy was parked in the driveway, which made me feel more alone than I had felt in the last month. 

When I opened the door I looked outside once more to ensure that I was in the right house. I recognized Jacob, Embry, and Quill's scents. It was heavy all through the house.