Chapter 10: Where Do We Go From Here?

Alice turned towards Edward, "what was all that talk about singers?"

Edward nodded, not taking his eyes off my face, as if he was memorizing every facet of it. I didn't meet his gaze, I didn't want to look at him right now, so I shut my eyes, trying to block out the wave of fear coming from the humans when the door shut behind them.

I wasn't one to fret about the death of one or two humans, but the thought of killing innocent children chilled me. It was all too much and I was struggling to continue pushing forward. I wasn't weak, but my senses were in overdrive from the events earlier this week.

Alice laughed. I was tired enough to sleep, but I knew sleep wasn't an option when you were a vampire. Perhaps I could disassociate for a while during the plane ride back. My body had stopped shaking, and I kept my eyes closed, trying to center myself.

Now and then, as he talked with Alice, he would lean down suddenly and kiss me—his glass-smooth lips brushing against my hair, my forehead, the tip of my nose. Each time it was like an electric shock to my long-dormant heart. I lost track of the time completely. So when Edward's arms tightened around me, and both he and Alice looked to the back of the room with wary eyes, I stirred out of the place my mind took me. I pulled away from Edward's chest as Alec - his eyes now a vivid ruby, but still spotless in his light gray suit despite the afternoon meal - walked through the double doors. His eyes lingered on me, and I felt a sense of longing. While he would continue to mature, Alec was stuck in a body that never aged. He would never find a mate or an equal in his current form.

Edward tensed once again, his hands twitching to touch me to keep Alec's overly generous eyes off my body.

"You're free to leave now," Alec told us, his tone so warm you'd think we were all lifelong friends.

"We ask that you don't linger in the city." Edward made no answering pretense; his voice was ice cold. "That won't be a problem."

"Oh and Halston," I turned towards the boy, waiting. "I look forward to seeing you in the future." Alec smiled, nodded, and disappeared again.

"Follow the right hallway around the corner to the first set of elevators," Gianna told us as Edward walked next to me.

"The lobby is two floors down and exits to the street. Goodbye, now," she added pleasantly. I wondered if her competence would be enough to save her. Alice shot her a dark look. I was relieved there was another way out; I didn't want to linger in the underground. We left through a tastefully luxurious lobby. I was the only one who glanced back at the medieval castle that housed the elaborate business facade. I couldn't see the turret from here, for which I was grateful. The party was still in full swing in the streets. The street lamps were just coming on as we walked swiftly through the narrow, cobbled lanes. The sky was a dull, fading gray overhead, but the buildings crowded the streets so closely that it felt darker. The party was darker, too. Edward's long, the trailing cloak did not stand out in the way it might have on a normal evening in Volterra. There were others in black satin cloaks now, and the plastic fangs I'd seen on the child in the square today seemed to be very popular with the adults.

"Ridiculous," Edward muttered once. I didn't notice when Alice disappeared from beside me. I looked over to ask her a question, and she was gone.

"She went to retrieve your bags from where she stashed them this morning." I nodded at his answer.

"She's stealing a car, too, isn't she?" I guessed.

He grinned. "Not till we're outside."

I shuddered as he pulled me through the dark stone archway. The huge, ancient portcullis above was like a cage door, threatening to drop on us, to lock us in. He led me toward a dark car, waiting in a pool of shadow to the right of the gate with the engine running. To my surprise, he slid into the backseat with me, instead of insisting on driving. Alice was apologetic. "I'm sorry." She gestured vaguely toward the dashboard.