Chapter Twenty - seven

Hibaaq instantaneously felt her knees weaken as Layla began elaborating, but her cumbersome speaking fell upon deaf ears. The time seemed to have frighteningly slowed down around her, the birds in the sky, the rustling of the palm trees, even the low humming of automobiles outside the gates, everything just seemed to have gradually stilled.

All she was thinking of was, what a poor time to have come. What a terrible time did Abdihakeem finally come to ask for her hand, a time where she wasn't so sure of anything anymore. Hibaaq knew if he had come a month or two earlier, she might've — no, she was certain that she would've accepted. The sheer giddiness would've had her flying to the moon and back, but it wasn't any other day, and it wasn't a month or two earlier; it was today. Where heart didn't beat as erratically as it once did upon hearing his name, or why she didn't feel the nest of butterflies that resided in the pit of her stomach, stirring and flourishing to life at the glad tidings; or why she worriedly gazed over her shoulder at a spectating Ercole, quiet and still, as if time had truly stopped for a moment.

Running away never looked so tempting, simply jumping back inside her car and driving the sandy roads to a place where no one could find her.
Though, Hibaaq loathed the idea of leaving her city, her family and the few people she called friends because of a proposal. She swore that it would be the last thing to drive her out. She was free to do whatever she pleased, that goes for refusing a stupid proposal.

"Come, let's head inside." Prompted Layla, sighing sadly at her friend in her dejected state. Hibaaq bit down on her bottom lip, merely nodding her head for her words stayed lodged in her throat. "I told the fool to wait and speak to you first, but he wouldn't listen," She explained, shaking her head.

The sweet aroma of cardamom, ginger and cloves wafted to each of their noses teasingly as they entered, though no one had the appetite to digest anything. Not even a cup of delicious shaa somali could fix the bad taste in her mouth.

Ercole trailed a few paces behind, his heart aching painfully. He was thinking of the unspoken thing that hung heavily in the air between himself and Hibaaq, something he felt so immensely, wondering if she felt the same way; then Layla came running out and conveyed the heart shattering message. It was like a harsh wake up call for him to stop relishing so much in a life containing Hibaaq. He should've known while he bitterly watched that man act so fondly and familiar with her, but he continued to shut out all rationality, even the voice in his head that screamed this "unspoken thing" could never be.

Layla tried to gently persuade Hibaaq to walk into the living room, but she stood frozen in her spot, so she left her side for a moment, walking back to the front door where Ercole was.

"It's probably best you wait elsewhere for now," She sighed, looking at him pitifully. She knew more than anyone else the relationship between them, something like friendship and a lot more. It was as clear as the moon in an obsidian night sky. Layla watched some of their interactions mindlessly at first, but on closer observation it was truly apparent, only a fool would be blind to see. Her heart went out to her dear friend, for it was heart-wrenching having to see her so despondent. She was submerged in it, and all because of what to do with her infatuated older brother and the man she was currently scrutinising, looking as glum as ever. "It's quite complicated," She added.

"Quite," Ercole replied, lowly. "I'll wait in the study, do some work," He told her, before heading off.

The only work he would be doing was racking his brain over about his sad reality, and not being able to have the woman that made him feel whole again. Then he was gone for what felt like the most painful few hours of his life, forced to sit and helplessly listen to the loud and jovial voices resounding through the four thin walls of the study.