Chapter Twelve

As promised, Hibaaq drove to town with Layla in the passenger. The whistling wind met their faces with such force, they almost caught whiplash as it tangled through their hijabs. Hibbaq came up with the great idea to pull down the roof of her beloved convertible, a regretful mistake indeed for it was a windy day, and the sand from the dirt road blew up and into their eyes and mouth in partnership with the wind.

"Ah, I can't do this!" Layla covered her face.

Hibaaq laughed loudly, finding the entire ordeal hilarious as Layla tried desperately to hide her face with her small hands.

"That's why I told you to bring your sunglasses." Hibaaq adjusted the large leopard print ones that practically covered half her face, resting upon the button tip of her slender nose and bringing attention to her plump and round lips. She fixed the sides of her hijab, her head turning briefly to catch the regret in Layla's squinted eyes.

Layla pulled up her black patterned hijab to use as a makeshift niqaab, covering her whole face.

"That works too." Hibaaq chuckled.

"Who told you to put the roof down"! Layla exclaimed in frustration, throwing up her arms before realising that she shouldn't have, as her makeshift niqaab came undone and pooled around her neck. The sand quickly found its way into the targeted areas. "Oh my Allah"! She squealed, vigorously rubbing her closed eyelids as she spat out. Hibaaq continued to guffaw, her stomach clenching from all the laughter. The journey was a comedic relief as it was dreadful, though a few minutes later, Hibaaq eased to a stop in front of the city hall. She parked her car on the curb side before getting out to pull the roof of her beetle closed from the boot up. The roof was a velvet brown under fine metal bones, complimenting the shiny beige of its surrounding exterior.

"You're so beautiful." Hibaaq cooed sweetly at her automobile, locking it with a swift twist of her key at the driver's door.

"You act like a boy with cars. It's inanimate, Hibaaq." Layla shook her head, bemused by the strange adoration her friend had for her beetle convertible and any other car she found appealing.

"Don't hurt her feelings." Hibaaq remarked, patting the smooth curved front as she walked around it. "And for your information, she isn't inanimate, she's as full as life as you and I."

"Please don't go all crazy on me now, we have actual work to do." Layla sighed, ushering her into the semi bustling building. There wasn't as many people as most days. Events and gatherings grew less as the weather became hotter, people preferred to stay indoors and away from the burning sun as much as possible, only until evening though. The city would come alive again with lights and twice as much bustle than during the day because the air was considerably cooler at night.

"I'm so excited." Layla pushed open the tall double doors of the enormous venue, often used for weddings or parties. It wasn't as big as the auditorium which was also in the same building, used for theatre performances and ceremonies, but it was perfect for the welfare event. Hibaaq began recollecting the old days, seated on her mother's lap in the audience, cheering and applauding for her father as he gave a heartfelt speech to all members of his company. It was the very first anniversary of the Cali corporation, and Hibaaq remembered her parents buzzing in elation as they got ready to go. A rare milestone she had the pleasure to witness and cherish at the tender age of six. Though, it was the first and last one she had ever attended for her mother died that same tragic year.

The nostalgia was bittersweet.

"Why are you spacing out on me. Don't tell me you're still upset I hurt your car's feelings." Layla lightly jested, walking over to Hibaaq and gently shaking her bestfriend's shoulders in an attempt to gain her full attention. Hibaaq quietly chortled at her joke.