Chapter Fifteen

Her heart sank instantaneously at the aggrieved look on Abdihakeem's face. It didn't take many guesses for her to discern what exactly they needed to talk about, she could see it in his eyes. Her wrist was grabbed on to and the next thing she knew, Hibaaq was stumbling behind Abdihakeem as he led her to a more quieter part of the balcony.

'Oh God, oh no.' She hyperventilated in the seclusion of her mind, wanting to turn around and sprint back to the safety of the inside, but a part of her nagged her to stay and listen. If she ran now, it would make her appear cowardly, and she couldn't let that be. She grudgingly went along with the latter, pulling her arm away before sitting down on the outdoor couch.

"Apologies, for invading your space but we really need to talk Hibaaq." He prompted, taking a seat opposite her on the ottoman. The close, yet no so close proximity had her head spinning and her stomach churning in anxiousness as she impatiently waited for him to speak. "I don't like...What has happened between us."

Abdihakeem propped his elbows up on his knees, outstretching his hands towards her as if wanting to hold hers, but the action was never carried out. Fortunately enough, for Hibaaq was already finding a hard time dealing with the impact of his words. When spoken out into the air like that, it made her feel all the more despondent.

Hibaaq furrowed her eyebrows. "What happened"? She questioned, knowing well, but needed to hear it directly from his mouth, in audible confirmation that she wasn't going crazy these past few weeks.

Abdihakeem gently pulled at the soft curls on his head. "We've become distanced, you've been avoiding me, and you won't even speak to me anymore." He said, the hurt evident in his voice with an underlying hint of betrayal. Hibaaq was perplexed by this, though didn't take much ponder to it. Although her heart lurched out at the confrontation.

She had been avoiding him intentionally, there was no denying that, though she had failed to realise just how terribly obvious it was to Abdihakeem. Hibaaq surrendered to her humiliation as her mind carried her back to the days, where she would dart behind Layla's back every time she saw him around town or anywhere else by chance.

"I'm - I don't know what to say." She mumbled unconsciously, tucking her bottom lip behind her teeth as she stared off into the distance in deep deliberation. Abdihakeem's gaze softened upon her. "It's just that... You got engaged out of nowhere and I was confused by it all" - Hibaaq paused, her voice getting caught in her throat as she processed the words she was so unhandily blurting out.

Abdihakeem was quick to answer. "I told you, it was not my choice and I refused, but Hooyo convinced me to take some time to think about it. I've already made my mind up." He remarked, leaning in an inch closer.

Hibaaq's breath hitched, waiting for the punchline, her skirt held by fistfuls on her thighs.

"I'm not going to marry her, I won't."

There it was, the words she'd been dying to hear ever since the engagement was announced, yet Hibaaq was left sepulchral. She was supposed to be elated by the news and jumping up in excitement, just like the scenarios in her head, where they would get married and live out the rest of their days in a large home somewhere by a coastal city, and yet Hibaaq felt glum.

'But Allah is the best of planners.' She recalled. He provides with what he sees fit, and if Allah takes something away, then he will gift something better; and if He takes something one desired greatly, then it's important to know that it was for the best. Allah knows what one has yet to think of, what is in every man's breast.

Hibaaq released a shaky sigh that caused Abdihakeem's eyebrows to raise in confusion.

'Maybe he thought I'd be happy about it too.' She pondered, peering regrettably into his eyes, saddened by the hope that shone in them. She wished she had as much hope in what they could be as him, but she couldn't disregard the tremendous feeling in her gut.