Chapter Sixteen

Mortification and shame weighed down on her like lead, even when there was nothing to be ashamed about. Her still mind couldn't comprehend the undignified remark that had left Abdihakeem's mouth. Then he fled the scene, and to her chagrin, had not returned home since. She felt all the more dreadful. Hibaaq was informed by Layla on the phone that same evening that he had not come home and that their parents were worried sick. Abdihakeem would take trips outside the city, whether it was for business or for leisure, but he'd never left once without letting his parents know. This was a first, Hibaaq had no idea where he'd disappeared to.

'Maybe its for the better.' She thought bitterly, but she still cared for the man regardless of what he said. As family. She couldn't contain the instant flood of worry that came over her, hearing the news, her empathy holding down a heavy hand on her anger.

Nevertheless, she was glad she had something to turn her attention to, for today was the day of the welfare event. She simply couldn't afford to be downcast on such an exciting day. To eradicate the bad taste in her mouth, Hibaaq decided she would have the decorous talk with him whenever he showed up. For now she'd occupy herself with the matters at hand.

She pulled back the light comforter off her body and closed her eyes briefly to the darkness that still lingered in the corners of her room as the morning light gradually spread over the land. She needed to go somewhere before her day could officially start though, that is why she was up early with the birds and prayed the morning prayer. On every morning of the event, she would visit the seashore, it quickly became a ritual she'd adopted over the years. Hibaaq would slip out of the house and go there to unwind her woes, dumping it all into the waters whilst relishing the cool ocean breeze with her own company. No distractions and no nagging grandmother for a while until it was time to go home. She felt inevitably spontaneous going on these yearly escapades, unknown to her family.

It was thrilling.

She picked up the car keys to her beetle from a ceramic bowl on top of the shoe cabinet by the front door, slowly and quietly attempting to open the door, but it was old and creaky, thus it never failed to make a loud groaning noise when pulled open. Hibaaq scrunched up her face in a grimace as she stepped out into the chilly air, having to endure another loud groaning close behind her before she could release a breath; but that wasn't the hardest part of sneaking away.

She glanced over at her beetle, sitting prettily in the corner, shining from a fresh wash and contemplated on walking all the way instead. Hibaaq dreaded putting the keys into the ignition and revving up the engine, causing ten times the louder noise than what the creaky door could ever make. The whole house would surely wake up. Everything seemed to be so much noisier when the house was asleep.

"Come on."  Hibaaq prompted, pushing her legs towards her car. She unlocked it and hastily got inside, and without a second thought she brought the car to life, all the while her eyes remained squinted as if her twitchy facial expressions would hush down all the clamour she was making. Hibaaq then began to drive, trying to disregard the crackling the thick tires made over the white gravel stone.

She brought with her, a thermos filled with freshly brewed Arabian coffee and made sure to leave the full pot on the stove for her father when he woke up. Her grandmother preferred tea, therefore Hibaaq was on a short timer, she needed to be home way before her grandmother awakened so as to not raise any suspicions.

She would often not wake up as early to witness it, but Hibaaq could never get tired of watching the sun rise on her escapade, it was the most breathtaking sight. The raised cliff she parked her car on gave the perfect view of its entire splendour, and through the window the warm sunlight gently kissed her skin. The cliff worked as a makeshift parking space, overlooking the seashore. The trek down was rocky, as expected, but it was worth it. It meant laying on the red hued sand and basking in the sunlight, listening to the sound of waves crashing against the shore as the earth's natural state of tranquility.