Return to Sender

Return to Sender

Naruto clutched the object in his hand tighter. Just two meters in front of him was its owner. He smiled sadly at the owner. The owner looked confused.

“Why are you smiling dobe; today is the day you die.” He said. Naruto still smiled and tears cascaded down his cheeks. He stepped forward.

“Sasuke,” he whispered. Sasuke just let the smaller boy walk forward.

“I’m not coming back Naruto.” He told the blonde and took out his sword. Naruto nodded and clutched the object tighter. He was now only two feet in front of Sasuke. He did something neither of them expected. He threw his arms around Sasuke’s neck and hugged him tight. The raven dropped his sword in surprise and Naruto just hung on tighter.

“N-Naruto?” Sasuke asked uncertainly when Naruto pulled away and did something to his head. The blonde stood back, silently crying but still smiling. There was now nothing left in his hands. Sasuke reached up to feel what Naruto had done to him. He could faintly feel the texture of a gash on metal. Naruto sat on the floor and started to make a daisy chain. Sasuke watched in wonder and shock as the blonde kitsune just sat there and played with the flowers whilst Sasuke was planning his death. Sasuke bent down and picked up his sword.

“Naruto…” he warned. Naruto just looked up and smiled.

“Just like old times,” he muttered to himself. Sasuke’s hand was shaking. Could he really do this? Break this bond? It had become so fragile yet Naruto was still trying to keep it strong. Maybe that’s why Naruto was there, accepting his death.

“Why are you here Naruto?” Sasuke asked. He had to know this before he broke the bond. Naruto looked Sasuke in the eyes before dropping the back down to the daisy chain necklace. He stood up and walked over to Sasuke. He placed it around the raven’s neck before looking to the floor.

“I couldn’t save you and I needed to return your headband back to you.” He said simply. Sasuke froze before ripping his headband off and throwing it to the ground a few feet away. Naruto flinched and picked it back up. He went to get nearer to Sasuke to put it back on but Sasuke backed away a few paces.

“I’m not part of the village anymore.” He said coldly. Naruto sighed. It was such a beautiful day, sun shining down and warming his skin. That sentence defied the sun and made him shiver.

“But you’re still a part of me.” He whispered. Sasuke glared.

“That’s what I’m hoping to get rid of today!” Sasuke yelled before charging at Naruto, his sword raised. The last thing Sasuke saw before plunging the sword deep into Naruto’s chest was a small fox grin.

Naruto was skewered on the sword, blood coming from his mouth. He moved further down, injuring himself more to be close to Sasuke. He got to the hilt and grabbed Sasuke’s shoulder. He hugged him once more.

“I love you Sasuke, that’s why I’m here. Good luck.” And with that, the Kyuubi vessel died in Sasuke’s arms with a grin on his face, blood dripping from his mouth and dripping onto the daisies around the raven’s neck. Sasuke was frozen with shock. He felt his sharingan change inside of him. He pulled his sword out of Naruto’s chest and caught his blonde’s body. He hugged it close to him and took the headband from the still warm hand and tied it around his forehead. He kissed Naruto on the cheek and for the first time in too long, cried.