Memories of You

Memories of You

“So this is it.” Statement, not question, I said to him. He was there, he had caught me. I wanted to finish it once and for all. He stood at the end of the dock where we first met. It ends where it began, those memories are long gone. The Sasuke from then is dead, gone, never to return, never to breathe another breath of this air. His eyes were in the shadows of his fringe and headband. He had it. After all of the taunts, hard work and tears, he was a Jounin, just like Kakashi. I smirked and he just stood there.

“You’re going to die tonight, Naruto,” I taunt. He remains silent. What is with him? Usually he would call me a teme and attack. I’m starting to feel a bit uncomfortable now. Naruto is silent and not looking at me. He is looking at the ground. I hear a weak chuckle. I’m now really confused at this point.

“I’ve already died,” He whispers. My eyes widen as I notice the blonde is crying. His head snaps up and he’s grinning madly.

“You don’t remember Sasuke? That night it all ended?” he says as he starts to advance. As he’s advancing, blood starts to drip from his hands. He stops a few feet in front of me.

“Don’t you remember that night; the night you let it all go?” he asks. This time he sounds sad. I back away a few paces; my snarky demeanour gone and replaced with fear.

“Wh-what are you talking about; you die tonight!” I yelled. Naruto is crying, heavily.

“You can’t remember?!” He yelled, tears falling fast down his face.

“After what you said…” he whispered as he knelt on the floor. My mind flashed and head pounded.

Flashes

The sound of Naruto yelling

Blood; a lot of it!

Whispered voices

Tears…

I walked over to Naruto.

“You’re too soft, dobe, you should try to kill me, not injure me!” I told him. The blonde hadn’t been striking anywhere critical. He staggered a bit and fell to his knees. I was shocked he was giving up. His eyes were half closed. I knelt down beside him. He was panting for breath and small flecks of blood were coming out of his mouth. I placed a hand on his cheek. He felt cold and fragile beneath my touch.

“N-Naruto… I didn’t mean to… Oh GOD!” I yelled, finally realising what I had done. The one, who had shown me love, was dying because of my greed for power. Tears were pouring down my face and dripping on the floor. I cradled his body to my chest, feeling my shirt become wetted by the blood, his blood. He placed a hand on my cheek, wiping away the tears that were staining them.

“You dobe, why? WHY DIDN’T YOU KILL ME?!?!” I yelled at him, tears slipping down my face.

“Because…” he started before coughing again.

“Because?” I prompted. He was about to say something when his hand fell to his side and his blue eyes that were once filled with so much energy slipped closed. I stopped breathing.

“Naruto? NARUTO?!” I cried aloud. I started to sob uncontrollably.

“Please don’t leave me, I need you, I love you.” I whispered.

“Don’t leave me here! NARUTO!”

My mind slipped to the present. Instead of Naruto standing in front of me, there was just an empty landscape. I looked around, hoping that this was the dream, that I could turn back time and not have Naruto die. That hope shattered as I saw something engraved on a tree. I walked up to it and could only just make it out in the moonlight. I recognised it as my writing; it had been scratched in using a kunai knife. My breath caught in my throat and tears came cascading down my cheeks.

Naruto Uzumaki

Stupid dobe,

I love you

I brushed my hands along it when on the other side of the tree I felt something. Curious, I looked there and barely visible was another mark.

I love you too, teme.

I fell to my knees and smiled as I cried.

“You win dobe. I’m coming to get you!” I said as I pulled out my kunai and plunged it deep into my chest where the pain was greatest, in my heart.

“Wait up!” I whispered as my eyes slid closed. I could see Naruto smiling at me on the other side. He stretched out his hand and I took it as he pulled me into the warm light, my heart healing as he wrapped his arms around me a placed a soft kiss to my lips.

“I win,” he whispered as we drifted into the afterlife.