Just to Dream

Just to Dream

Falling asleep. Why do people do that? The obvious answer to any ninja is to rest.

You have dreams when you fall asleep obviously. Other times you have nightmares.

What Naruto had was a dream and a nightmare.

Every night he would dream of the same thing.

Sasuke.

He would dream that the raven had returned to him and that he would hold him in his arms; tell him he loved him and that it would be okay.

Naruto fell asleep to dream. In his dreams no-one could hurt him; tell him the harsh truths that Sasuke would never come back.

It drove him insane. For a blissful eight hours Sasuke was back and kissing him and holding him; telling him what he wanted to hear. The next moment he would be shaken awake by a teammate or his sensei and have to hold back his tears as he realised how reality had tricked him.

He went crazy. He loved Sasuke too much to be possible. He took what some people would call ‘The easy way out’. It wasn’t really easy for him. It was too easy for him. The decision had been made. Naruto wanted to be asleep forever so he could see Sasuke again as it had once been because Naruto didn’t fall asleep to rest…

Naruto fell asleep just to dream.