Chapter 3

I turn and see Jamie and Murtagh standing not but ten feet away from me, "Just looking at the horses," the stern look in Murtagh's eyes tells me that my answer was not good enough. Even though I only had a cold, during this time period it can be very dangerous, "Fine I was bored and needed to stretch my legs."

Jamie's eyes hold a stern look as well, but more of a brotherly stern, "Claire said ye need to rest," he states walking over to me and wrapping a taran around me, "and it be too cold outside for ye."

"I'm fine," I grumble as he gently grabs my elbow.

Nevertheless, they gently drag me back inside the castle and straight to Claire. I try and tell her that I am fine but a few coughs slip through. Jamie excuse himself to go finish some business but Murtagh stays to help Claire walk me back to my room. On our way, we run into Lord MacKenzie, "Aye, how you feeling today Miss Isabella," he addresses me.

"Better than I was yesterday My L-" I turn my head away so that the cough that makes my body shutter is covered.

"Aye but ye still need some rest it seems lassie," he states with a gentle smile that turns into a laugh when he sees me pout.

"This goose cough takes forever to leave," I straighten myself back out.

"Now where did you come up with a name like that for it?"

"Our father, may he rest in peace."

"Since ye are still not well I must insist that ye both remain as our guest," Colum fixes his gaze on Claire. I can tell that his word usage was purely for my sake. We are to remain here as his guest till he no longer sees us, well Claire as a threat, "We have also been without a healer for some time as well. I hope you will be willing to help in that regard."

I tap Murtagh's hand and he leans down. I ask him how to say something and he repeats the words in Gaelic for me in my ear, "Tapadh leat airson do chaoimhneis, a Thighearna." ( Thank you for your kindness, My Lord.) I repeat aloud. Though I struggle with some of the words.

Colum lets out a laugh and a true smile flashes across his face, "A nighean shoilleir a chì mi. Ma tha thu airson barrachd ionnsachadh dìreach faighnich agus lorg mi tidsear dhut."Murtagh translates for me. (A bright girl I see. If you want to learn more just ask and I will find a teacher for you.)

"Thank you, Lord MacKenzie. I love language studies as well as history," I gave a bow of my head, "If you excuse me I am feeling tired from my short walk."

Colum nods in agreement and lets me and Murtagh pass; however, he takes Claire down to what is to be her workshop. When we reach the stairs I am slow going, "Thank you, Murtagh, I will be fine from here."

"Not a chance lassie. Jamie, not to mention Laird Colum would skin me if  left ye her."He helps me all the way to my room. Once my feet pass the thresh hold he stops, "Get some rest lassie. I'm sure the Laird would be glad if you joined him for diner in the Great Hall this night."

"We shall see."

I rest for the day. I don't like crowds so I hope that Murtagh will forget about trying to get me downstairs.  However, my luck must be out as a knock sounds at my door. When Murtagh answers me asking who it is I mutter under my breath and check myself over in the small mirror the room has. I wrap a shawl around my shoulder before opening my door. He stands a foot or two back from my door, "Do I have to," I ask.

"Are ye feeling worse lass? I can ca-"

"No, I just don't like crowds."

He gives a chuckle, "Ye be fine. No one will mess with ye."

I loop my arm through the one he had offered me. When we entered the hall I see Claire sitting at the head table next to Dougal. Silence fills the hall. Murtagh escorts me in front of the head table I give a curtsey and Dougl stands up and pulls out the empty seat that was between my sister and Colum Mackenize, "My other guest, " Colum's voice carries easily in the quiet hall, "Miss Isabella Beauchamp. Who is under my protection," his voice carries a dangerous undertone. Pair that with Dougl's death stare it was easy to understand what he was saying. I was not to be touched, by anyone.

Murtagh leaves my side as I head to the seat that Dougal has pulled out for me.  Dougl gives me a small but gentle smile before heading back to his seat. I think he might like me. Were as with Claire, he is calculating to see if he can trust her. My age works to my advantage. No one would expect a young lady to be a spy especially if she has been in her room sick since she has been there.

"So Miss Isabella," Colum starts a conversation with me, "what do you like to do?"

"Well besides studying languages and history, I like to read and help my sister with healing."

"Ye ar a healer as well?"

"Yes."

"Oh this is my wife," he motions to his wife to his right.

"My Lady," I greet with a nod of my head.

"You study languages. Which ones do you know," she inquires.

"I can speak French fairly well and I have studied some German. I would love to learn some Gaelic if possible during our stay. I have always found it fascinating."

"I have a book you could use if you like," Lady MacKenzie offers, "You listen to just the men you will only learn the foulness of the language," she jokes.

I stay silent for most of the night after that since they start talking to other people. I use this time to look over the people in the Great Hall. I spot Jamie, Murtagh, Angus, and Rupert all sitting together. I notice a blonde hair girl staring at Jamie for most of the night. Once I finished eating I sat there for about half an hour before I was done with the crowd of people. I asked to be excused and once given I stand. Dougl matches me and even offers his arm to me. I take it knowing that he was most likely acting under the orders of his brother. As we leave i can feel eyes watching us. I am not stupid to believe that Dougl has never sought pleasure with younger women before. I still have the knife that I stole from Randall on me.

When we reach my door Dougal stops a few feet away, "Have a good night Miss Isabella."

"Goodnight Mr. MacKenzie."

I lock my door behind me and start to get ready for bed when a sharp knock comes to my door. I wrap a blanket around me before unlocking and opening the door a crack.  Jamie and Murtagh are both standing at my door. Tense, "Yes?"

"We were just seeing if ye made it back alright," Jamie replies. I open my door fully so they can see into my room plainly.

"I am fine," I answer. Jamie nods and they turn to leave, "There is one thing if you are willing to help."

They stop and give me their attention, "Aye what is it lass."

"I stole a blade from Randall when we first met; however it is too big to carry at all times," I can see the amusement is their eyes, "I may be young but I understand the hidden meaning to Lord MacKenzie's statement. But some men will still do stupid things."

"Aye, come find me tomorrow and I will see what I can do," Murtagh answers this time.

"Thank you. Goodnight," I closed my door and finish undressing before slipping into my bed.