Chapter 10

A few of the ladies in the town come in the late morning to gather Claire to get her ready for her wedding.  A lady about my age stays with me. She introduces herself as Maeve, "Do you think you could sit up? If you can, I will do your hair for you."

"If you could brush it out, I would be grateful."

"Do you not want it done up for your wedding?"

"I am injured. I can't leave my bed for a few days," I state slowly, sitting up, "the wedding will be in my room."

"That does not mean that you can not look your best," Maeve puts an extra pillow behind my back.

"True; however, I think my husband likes my hair down more."

Maeve sends a gentle smile my way as she starts on my hair. She brushes it before moving to the vanity and looking through the different ribbons.  A knock comes to the door, "Cò e?" 

"Bràthair-cèile na h-ìghne. (The girl's brother-in-law)"

"Come in, Jamie," I answer.

He enters, giving me a small head nod and one to Maeve as well, "Tapadh leibh airson a cuideachadh an-diugh. (Thank you for helping her today.)"

"My pleasure. Every girl should feel happy and beautiful on her wedding day."

With that, she leaves to give us the room. Jamie looking dashing, settles himself on the edge of the bed by my feet. He looks down at his hand. He holds something in them, what, I can not tell, " Jamie. I need you to look at me," he does as I ask, "I think you will be a good husband to my sister. She can sometimes be headstrong but mostly because she cares about the group," he gives me a funny look, "Alright," I chuckle looking down at my lap, "she does it because she doesn't think before doing something."

"Isabella," Jamie never uses my first name. I look up again, locking eyes with him, "I will be true to my pledge that I gave you last night. I will protect Claire and ye. You're my family now."

"You and Murtagh have been kind and caring of both of us since we met," I mess will the ends of my hair, "But I want to know if these marriages will put you both in danger?"

"No."

"You better hurry ,then or you will be late for your wedding."

I was not alone for long. Maybe an hour or so before Maeve came back in, she helped me drap the tartan over me and buckled it in the front with a beautiful brooch. We talked as the others watched Jamie and Claire be joined in marriage. Before long the room below was filled with the noise of men drinking and the sound of music. A knock brings our conversation to an end as Maeve opens the door. Jamie and Claire are the first to enter, followed by a priest, Ned, and Murtagh. 

Ned moves over to me first before pulling out a paper, "With your sister's marriage to Jamie, she has signed a document that makes you his ward, " He hands me the paper, "and this one is the marriage contract between you and Murtagh. Jamie signed in your name, and a clause was added that you and Murtagh will consummate the marriage on your 21 birthday."

"How does this protect me but would not protect Claire," I hiss after raising my arm too high.

"Your sister has been married and as such can not be placed under a Scot as a ward. You have not been introduced into social society and have never been and can."

Murtagh makes his way to my left side and takes my left hand in his. The priest starts his part. Our vows were said, and rings were placed on each other's hands. Murtagh kisses my cheek, and the others leave us be once the wedding is finished. Silence fills the room, and I think Murtagh would enjoy the noise of the party downstairs since he keeps moving in his seat.

"You can join the others below," I tell him, "I will not be angry. It is not like anything will be happening up here."

He briefly chuckles, "That be true, but I will not let my wife be left all alone right after our vows," he then looks me straight in the eye, "Especially when we have to have a conversation about this pledge you made Jamie make."

I huffed, knowing that he most likely would not agree to my request, "I made him promise to take care of Claire. No matter what, even if it meant my life in exchange for hers," we lock eyes, "I made him promise always to pick her."

"And ye want me to make that same promise?"

"Yes."

"That is the one thing that I can not give you," he places one of his hands in mine, "Ye are my wife, and I made a vow before God and signed a paper that I would protect you," he rubs his thumb over the back of my hand, "I know that you did not have much choice in who you got to marry, but I take it seriously."

"I take this seriously," I snapped back, "I just can't let anyone get hurt because of it. What would happen to you if we ended up with people finding out that we are married? The English could beat you, hang you, or kill you if they think I was forced into this marriage. Especially if they know what Dougal is doing and planning to do with the funds he has been raising,"

"That will ne-"

"I will not let someone else get hurt for or because of me," I cut him off, "Not ever."

/