Chapter 9

When we arrive, Murtagh carries me straight up to the room Dougal has arranged. He is very careful of my injuries and ensures that the tartan is wrapped around me so that nothing can be seen. Once I am placed on the bed with a swift bow, he leaves me alone with my sister. Claire quickly gets me settled in before rushing off to find dinner. I cannot do much except wait for her to return and speak to whoever of the men comes to find me. To my surprise, Jamie knocks on my door, "May I enter lass?"

"One moment," I shift the tartan making sure that I am covered, "Come in."

Jamie leaves the door open as he enters. He takes the seat next to my bed. He hides his emotion fairly well. However, I am better at finding them, and his eyes hold a mixture of emotions. From fear and sadness to protectiveness that I have never seen. We sit in silence and listen to the crackle from the logs on the fire. When I make a move to sit up, and a hiss of pain escapes, he quickly but gently pushes me down onto my back, "You need rest, lassie," he states, grabbing the water cup and holding it to my lips, "I spoke with Ned again about you having to marry. He has rechecked every law, and this way is the best for ye protection."

"I know, Jamie," I look at him, "I am just grateful to have friends like you and Murtagh around. I know that the others like us, but I think that you will truly care for Claire."

Jamie looks at me as if he is studying me, "I will protect both of ye. You will be my sister. I will not let anything happen to me family," he takes a nice new tartan out from behind his back, "It's the Fraser colors. I knew that you would not be able to have a wedding like Claire and I. So I got this for ye to wear when you and Murtagh get married later tomorrow."

I let my tears slide down my face as I look at the man that is going to be my brother-in-law. He has treated me so well since the first day that we met. He has watched out for me, protected me, and will truly care for Claire and me. Jamie places the tartan on my lap and watches me as I run my hand over it, "Tapadh leibh, Jamie. Tha mi airson gun toir thu gealladh dhomh. (Thank you, Jamie. I want you to make me a promise.)"

"Ye lass. What is it?"

I steel my eyes so that he knows that I am serious, "Chan eil fios agam dè a tha aig an t-saoghal seo dhuinn. Ach, tha fios agam nach bi sinn an-còmhnaidh còmhla. Geall dhomh ma gheibh mi bàs no ma thig an roghainn sìos gu Claire no ormsa. Gun toir thu aire do Chlaire. An-còmhnaidh. (I do not know what this world holds for us. However, I do know that we will not always be together. Promise me that if I die or the choice comes down to Claire or me. That you will take care of Claire. Always.)"

Jamie stands and pulls out his dagger before dropping to his knee. Holding the dagger in both hands, "I, Jamie Alexander Malcolm MacKenzie Fraser, swear on the cross o' my Lord Jesus Christ, and by the holy iron which I hold, tha' I give ye' my fealty and pledge te ye' my loyalty, " he stops taking a deep breath, " Pledge to ye that I will protect your sister and my wife till my dying breath. I also pledge to ye to protect you and care for ye like my own sister and family. If ever my hand is raised against ye in rebellion, then I ask tha' this holy iron may pierce my heart by none other than the hands o' ye own."

"I accept your pledge Jamie Fraser and if you break it. Not even time or hell can stop me from taking that dagger and removing your heart."

A deep laugh breaks our conversation. Murtagh stands at the door frame, "Know what did ye do that made my wife-to-be promised you as such."

I saw Claire coming towards the room, "An aon rud a tha mi ag iarraidh ort. Gun dìon thu Claire an-còmhnaidh. Ged a tha e a 'ciallachadh mo bhàs. (The same that I ask of you. That you will always protect Claire. Even if it means my death.)

Murtagh's face turns to stone, "Bruidhnidh sinn mu dheidhinn seo nas fhaide air adhart. (We will speak about this later.)"

Jamie had luckily stood back up when Claire entered the room, "And what are you both doing here," she makes her way over to me with a bowl of food.

"Am I not allowed to check on my wife-to-be," Murtagh asks stepping closer to me.

"Wait," I order, holding up a hand to stop him. He does, "Close your eyes," again he does so with out question, "Claire," I motion her closer, "I need you to hide this. It is my wedding clothes," I whisper to her.

"Can I open me eyes yet?"

"No," I giggle as both Claire and Jamie look around, trying to find a place to hide it.

"Why are Jamie's eyes not shut then?"

"Because he is not marrying me."

"Oh."

Once they hide the tartan, I let Murtagh open his eyes, "Well, seeing as I need to check my sister's wounds, I will need to ask you, gentlemen, to leave," Claire states, motioning towards the door.

"Sleep well, piuthar (sister)," Jamie comes over and gives my hand a squeeze.

"Bhean," Murtagh gives a bow before both men leave the room.

Claire stays with me through the rest of the night. From changing my bandages and drinking, I get a full show of what she is feeling. I know that her heart still aches for Frank, but she needs to understand that we may never get back and that she has a chance with a man who will treat her right and love and care for her. I fall asleep watching the fire flames dance in the night's darkness.