Chapter 23

While reading the letters from the institutions that they're helping he heard three consecutive slow knocks on his wooden door's office, he didn't bother to glance as he opened another sealed envelope, "You may enter."

He heard the doorknob turn, then the man walked silently while pushing the silver food trolley, only the rolling sound of the wheels and tiled floor are the things that can be heard inside the room, both men are silent.

The man placed the small plate of a sliced cake together with the barley tea. The smokey aroma of the newly brewed tea occupied the young master's nose as soon as it was dropped down the table.

Idris picked the cup and sipped on the rim of it, "Thank you, James..." he stated after he tasted the predominantly nutty and bitter taste of the tea.

Using his peripheral vision, he noticed that the man was just standing beside his table causing his left brow to flinch, he carefully looked up to man while sipping on his tea, "Wha-" he choked on his drink a little when he saw that it was not James but Rufus, staring deeply while waiting for his commands?

He was surprised to see the man, because it's James' work most of the time, sorting out the letters and after that he will serve him some food while he's working in his office.

"Why are you..." he whispered.

Rufus moved a little then glanced at the barley tea, "Does it taste good, my lord?" the man asked.

It took a couple of seconds before he finally answered, "Well, yes..." he said using a low tone.

The man noticed his employer's expression causing him to explain himself, "James ordered me to give these to you, he's running an errand so..."

"I- I see." he pushed his empty cup near Rufus and the man took it as a signal to pour some on the cup again.

"What do you think about your dad being in a relationship in his 50's?" he mumbled suddenly.

The man who was pouring his cup stopped midways after hearing the unexpected question from his lord.

Even Idris was surprise to his own question, he looked at the man when he noticed that he stopped, and he was about to speak again but decided to stop when he saw Rufus' expression, the man has a blank look on his face, but the eyes say otherwise, the man looks furious while staring at the half-filled cup.

Idris failed to hide the amusement on his face and curiosity at the same time, he silently scolded himself after he recovered. He faked a cough to get the attention of the man and successfully did, "Never mind, forget about what I've said."

They went silent for about a minute when Rufus' suddenly spoke, "I don't have a father so I can't relate at all but, I think it's fine, finding someone else to love despite of old-age. After all, love doesn't pick its target by age, status..." he looked at Idris, "or even the gender."

Idris' mouth fell open after hearing a meaningful response from his attendant, he was moved by the man's senseful answer. Slowly, he felt the burning sensation on his cheeks and neck as embarrassment and amusement ate him. He's blushing!

The intense deep stare of Rufus' making him shy and awkward at the same time, it's too much. I've never felt this kind of intimidation from someone before... None from any elites overseas or even the king from the north who always has a cold and creepy gazed scare me nor his people. All of them failed to scare or make Idris' anxious but he can't tell the same to the emperor. Rufus' and the emperor hold the same authority and respect... as for Idris.

He inhaled to collect himself, "I... I see you have a very wide perspective when it comes to these kinds of things huh." he stated after, "Must be nice being in love." he whispered enough for Rufus to hear.

"I haven't fallen in love, my lord. So, I can't really tell."

He nodded then dismissed the man. But after a few seconds thinking about Rufus' last two words, it confused him. So, what is Marquess Ori to him then? A joke?

After overthinking things, he failed to finish his duties and ended up staring at the cold barley tea Rufus' served earlier together with the cake that Idris also failed to taste.

He groaned then decided to get up, he checked the time on his pocket watch and went to their receiving area.

He sat on their couch while waiting for the door to open, because any minute now, the mailman will arrive bringing letters for him and his father, since James' too busy to attend he'll just intercede for now.

"Finally..." he whispered when he saw the mailman.

The man was surprised to see the young master of the Gastrell household, because most of the time the head steward of the house's the one who always welcomed and helped him.

Both sat silently and started to sort out letters until a loud sound of the door interrupted the two, both turned their head towards that direction and saw the injured duke enter the hall.

"Dad, what happened to you!?" Idris asked and immediately ran to aid his dad who was full of blood stains and bandages on his head and arms.

The mailman stayed silent and continued to sort out the letters, he worked a little faster so he could go out already, he felt the heavy atmosphere brought by the duke and he didn't have any plans to pry with the father and son's interaction.

Idris heart's beating so loud, it could explode any minute because of his nervousness, and he didn't hide it from his dad. It's been days since the duke went out for business and this is the first time Idris saw him in this state, he saw him with scratches before and that's normal since the way to some places aren't that good, but the bandages and blood stains made him worried.

He also tried to remember if his dad had an enemy before, but he couldn't think of any, his father is respected not only in their place but with the other regions too.

"Don't worry, our men and I just happened to encounter some bandits while heading home," his father explained.

Idris calmed down a little after hearing that. Bandits, that couldn't be helped since there are many bandits out there, especially pirates who kept on pestering their land since they're near the sea.

Idris left brow flinched, something's wrong, something's going on. He stared at his father's injuries; they don't look fresh at all. He's lying.

"Please, ask James to call our doctor." he said after stopping a maid who walked beside him.

The woman nodded and walked away.

"The bandits, did they steal anything from you guys?" he asked, trying to catch his father.

"Well... yes."

"They stole what?"

"Some... some stuff. I'll head in my room first, my lord. I want to rest."

"Sure."

He is definitely lying.