Chapter 18

Idris read the words from Rufus' lips and that made him run. Not minding his aching knees, not minding the nobles who were greeting him, he just ran faster and faster. He doesn't know what to say to Rufus' or to face him, even. It was his first-time seeing stuff! Especially two men at that!

Now he realized how sheltered he is since the day he was born to not know such things.

It's been half an hour since Idris encountered that scene at the balcony, he's aware that Rufus followed him, so he ran faster and hid somewhere. After ten minutes hiding in a room, he went out, grabbed a wine, and stayed outside, but not so far away from where the banquet was.

He stops from sipping the glass when he hears footsteps behind him, his heart rate increases as the footsteps get closer and louder, he's afraid he'll be facing Rufus, it's been 30 minutes but he's not ready yet. He still feels embarrassed.

"Lord Idris." he gasped after hearing the familiar soft voice of a man.

He turned and faced the man, "Marquess Ori."

"I hope you don't mind what you saw back there, my lord. But I apologize for that unsightly action of ours..." Marquess Ori started as he gave the lord a small awkward smile.

"Eh..." Idris' eyes started to roam around avoiding the marquess' eyes as he thought of some nice words to say, "Uhm, well... s-sure, you see, I was just surprised." he said slowly, unsure. He looked behind the marquess trying to see if Rufus was with him. His attendant is not with him either.

"So, where's Rufus?" he asked.

Ori tilted his head and his not so thick brows furrowed, "He followed you?"

Idris gave out a short awkward laugh, embarrassed to say that he was hiding from them earlier, "Oh, well... I thought you two are still together." he gripped his clothes after he told those lies, just to save him from humiliating himself.

"I see. Now, if you'll excuse me, my lord." marquess bowed his head and smiled before walking back inside the hall, leaving the lord with curiosity, dying to ask many questions.

Now that the marquess was gone and Idris was left by himself, he started to overthink again trying to feed his curiosity by assuming such things towards the marquess and Rufus.

He's agonizing over something that doesn't even concern him, he's not even part of it in the first place. But he's actually amazed by Rufus' charm, a good-looking peasant didn't fail to get attention from girls only but with males also, a marquess at that. Well, he can't blame them, no matter how arrogant an aristocrat is once they see Rufus' face and stance, they'll surely fall for him, he noticed that most guests are looking on his way because of Rufus'. The man is acting so mighty huh, Idris thought when he remembered how he ignored the marquess earlier, looks like most nobles are after Ruf, and he doesn't even care about that. He is indeed different. If a normal peasant got a chance to have Rufus' face, they'll surely take advantage of it to climb the ladder of being an aristocrat, they'll do everything to get out of the slums even though it means... doing unusual works like male consort for rich ladies or even for men.

But I am still wondering why Rufus left Ori's side, they're clearly so close to each other.

As for James, Rufus' actually had a nice job in the Dumas' household, the pay is quite high for a normal peasant's position.

Guess, the two are lovers, but why did Rufus do that? A misunderstanding, perhaps?

Idris sighed and tried his best to shrug off the thoughts in his head, he should be focusing on the party now, midnight's coming the tasty wine are gonna come out anytime soon, he should be focusing on his favorite part.