Chapter Four

Darcy and Paul left the studio at five. With a biscuit from the small kitchen in their hands, they got into Paul's car.

"Did you enjoy your day at the studio?" Paul asked.

"It was brilliant. Your music is amazing and you're all so funny!" Darcy smiled.

Paul chuckled as he started the engine. It juddered slightly then started to purr slightly; Paul started to drive along the surprisingly clear road, humming to himself. 

"Can I put the radio on?" Darcy asked after a while of no sounds but the engine and Paul's rhythmic bee sounds. 

"Go ahead," Paul said and switched it on, "just tune it so eventually we get a good song."

"I think I remember how to use it..." Darcy pondered and began to turn the dial, hoping the buzzing would stop and a song would come into place. Eventually, a song that Paul seemed to have great enthusiasm for.

"Ooh! Ooh! Stop! Keep it there!" Paul exclaimed.

"Okay," Darcy giggled slightly. Paul started to sing it under his breath, smiling and bobbing his head in time. Darcy started to tap her toes, enjoying the music a great deal. Once it had finished, they left that radio station on, hoping another song as good as that would come on.

"Paul," Darcy asked, "what song was that?"

"It was (You're the) Devil in Disguise by Elvis."

"Elvis? That's a weird name."

"Haven't you ever heard of him? He's like, the founder, almost, of rock 'n' roll, he's brilliant! Haven't you ever heard Heartbreak Hotel? Hound Dog? All Shook Up?"

"Don't ring a bell."

"Really? But he isn't all that recent, surely..."

"I didn't have much time for music..." Darcy trailed off, looking at her shoes sadly.

After a while of an uncomfortable silence, Paul spoke up. "How about we get something to eat? We could have a picnic in the park or something...?"

"That sounds lovely," Darcy brightened up, glad to move away from the previous subject. Paul drove around a corner and parked outside a little shop. He reached into the back and got out a large hat. Darcy shot him a questioning look and he said it was a little disguise from the fans. They got out of the car and walked in to the pint-sized supermarket, on a hunt for sandwiches, fruit, drinks and chocolate. Paul kept his hat far down his head and Darcy did the talking when they paid.

They left and got back into the car with their corned beef pasties, crisps, chocolate and water. Paul took of his hat and chucked it into the back of the car, breathing a sigh of relief. Paul started the car and they drove off to a large park. There were very few people and Paul led Darcy to a secluded spot in the corner underneath a tree. It was cold, and a little snow was slowly melting, but they walked along and ate their pasties. Paul seemed to consider something for a moment, then he spoke.

"Darcy, er, well, I really like you," he began.

"I like you too, Paul," she smiled at him.

"I really like you and I can, well, I can see that you're still traumatized by what you experienced. I know that you seem all smiles but I know you're struggling. You need to talk about it and be free from your troubles. You need fixing, if you will, and I want to fix you."

By the end of that, Darcy's smile had faded. She looked at Paul with a sad yet unreadable expression. Paul tried to see what she was thinking, but he failed. He wanted to know if she would allow him to piece together this poor little puzzle.

"Please, Darcy, just let me try."

"Okay," she sighed, seemingly upset at the fact she failed to hide her mental scars. They left the park and the remainder of their food for later and got back into Paul's car. They drove home and sat in front of the dreadful TV shows for a while, then went to bed.

A scream pierced the silence of the flat. Darcy sat bolt upright, sweating, screaming at the nightmare. She heard some scrambling from the room next to her's, and she turned on the light as Paul burst in.

"Darcy," he cried, breathless, "are you OK?"

She nodded and started to cry. Paul came over to her and wrapped her in his strong, protective arms. She felt so safe in his warm embrace that she began to calm down, breathing shaky breaths and resting her head on his shoulder.

"What happened?" He asked after a while.

"I had a dream," she took a wobbly breath, "that my dad, found me and..." she burst out crying again. "Please, don't let it happen. I don't want..." she sobbed into the crook of his neck.

"Sshh. I think it's time we started fixing, okay, love?"