V E N T I C I N Q U E

With a soft smile on her face, Cecilia watched as she saw Alice and Demetri standing together on the balcony. Alice was looking oddly joyful, as if Demetri had just agreed to go on a weekend shopping trip, whereas her soulmate appeared more thoughtful, maybe even a little troubled. Of course, she could have eavesdropped easily, but the fact that her family had always respected her privacy made Cecilia sure that she should return the favour.

After observing two of the most important people in her life, Cecilia opened the door leading to the balcony as well. Both Alice and Demetri looked up, as if they hadn't noticed her until she finally opened the door.

"What are you looking so happy about?" Cecilia immediately asked, staring at Alice with squinted eyes.

Alice's smile seemed to broaden. "It's a secret."

"Well, in that case, I would like to discuss another secret with Demetri," Cecilia said innocently. Seeing that Alice made no move to go away, looking at Cecilia expectantly, the latter girl coughed. "Alone."

"You would really keep a secret from me?" Alice asked, a pout already forming on her mouth.

Smiling apologetically, Cecilia shrugged. "You have one for me as well."

"You're no fun," Alice countered. "But don't worry, tonight we're having a girl's night. I'm going to do your make-up, paint your nails, do something about that horrible hair of yours."

Cecilia's apologetic smile turned into a painful one. "Looking forward to it already."

"I know you are."

And away Alice as, disappearing into the house with the speed of light. When she turned her back to her soulmate he was looking at her already, his eyebrows raised in question. Once more, she cleared her throat. "Let's take a walk in the forest."

Demetri simply nodded and jumped over the edge of the balcony, his feet barely making any sound as they hit the gravel of the driveway. Though Cecilia still felt it was a little odd, watching somebody jump from a second story without as much as a grunt, she followed suit as well. Grabbing his hand tightly in hers, the two of them ran into the forest until Cecilia was sure that she was nowhere within hearing distance.

"What is it?" Demetri asked after a while, giving her hand a gentle squeeze.

"Wait a moment," Cecilia said softly. Taking an unnecessary deep breath, she conjured up the memories she had taken from Demetri about their plans of escaping, before reaching out for his mind to give them back. She watched intently as his eyes turned blank for a moment, before his pupils widened as though he was standing in the middle of a road, a truck nearing him at a dangerously high speed. He blinked, his long eyelashes touching his cheekbones and when he opened his eyes they were clear again. A steady red she was familiar with.

"Ugh, it keeps being odd," Demetri muttered, shuddering lightly. "Like I've finally managed to retrieve something I knew was somewhere around, but couldn't find for ages."

"You're okay, right?" she asked worriedly, her eyes wandering over his body for any signs of discomfort. She didn't like taking Demetri's memories, but it was the only way to protect them from Aro's prying. Whenever he tried to read her mind he was confronted with so many different versions of each event, as well as so many memories that weren't hers at all that he had stopped combing out her mind completely. Cecilia couldn't blame him. "You will tell me when you feel like you're slipping, we agreed."

Cecilia had seen what her gift could do when she took away too much or too often. It could turn people crazy.

"Don't worry so much," he said, looking at her lovely. He reached out with his other hand and placed it softly against her cheek, his thumb stroking the skin absentmindedly. "I feel completely sane. Though that's a funny paradox, because that's exactly what someone not feeling sane would say."