T R E N T A

"Mom, dad!" she yelled out with joy as she watched her parents enter the room. Getting up from her chair at the desk, she spun around and ran in their open arms. Instantly, the nagging feeling of homesickness that had been present ever since her other family members had visited, disappeared. "I've missed you."

"We've missed you too, sweetheart," her mother said, brushing a couple of strands of hair behind her ears and putting a motherly kiss on her forehead. Esmee took a moment to observe her daughter, a smile coming to her lips. "You look beautiful, especially with that tan."

"Yeah, the sun has been good to me," she agreed, nodding. Her eyes landed on her dad, whose arm was still across her shoulders, hugging her close. "How's life in Alaska."

"Cold and boring without you," her father answered instantly.

"Where's Alice and Jasper and did you see the masters already?" she asked, impatient to spend some time with her parents far away from the walls full of ears in the castle. She took a moment to observe her parents, both looking calm and chique. Her father was wearing a pullover, one that matched her mother's dress. They looked like supermodels.

"Jasper and Alice are very sorry, but they couldn't come," her mother said, smiling kindly. Cecilia raised her eyebrows, ready to launch another series of questions, but the look in her mother's eyes stopped her right away. It was almost pleading. "And yes, we saw and talked with the masters already."

"Great, then I really have to show you the city of Volterra," she said, walking out of her room already. "You're going to love all the buildings, mom, I'm sure. Maybe it can help with inspiration for our new home."

She guided her parents out of the castle, blabbering about sweet nothings, such as the paintings on the wall or the library. The tension, which had gradually been building as they walked to the exit, suddenly dissolved as they were standing on the square which surrounded the castle. Fortunately, Cecilia realised, it was a cloudy day, which didn't happen often.

They walked quietly, the sound of their footsteps on the cobble stones the only thing audible for at least ten minutes, until they got to a little market, which was buzzing with people. She looked over her shoulders twice, before turning to her parents. "I've really, really missed you."

"We know," her father said calmly. He gave her a smile, one that helped her calm down instantly. With her parents by her side, she knew things would turn for the better. "Life with the Volturi can be tiring, watching every single move you make and thinking which words you want to say twice."

"I feel like a courtier at Napoleon's court sometimes," she said, rubbing the side of her head. She pretended to watch one of the little stands, this one selling pretty handmade armbands. "I have so much to tell you."

"How about that waits, for now, sweetheart?" her mother asked.

Cecilia looked at her moment, a shadow of doubt coming over her face. Though she was glad to be out of the castle and with her family, the events of the last month were weighing her down, waiting to be confessed. Slowly, she shook her head, not thinking she could bear the weight another moment. "No, I need to tell you now."

"Alright, let's find a nice restaurant then," her father said, nodding. He motioned with his head to the one she'd eaten with Demetri and Nessie. "How about that one?"

"No," she said, shaking her head. "They have people in that restaurant. I think it's best we go to one of the places near the end of the market."

And so they did, settling for a restaurant that was busy enough for there to be a constant buzz of talking, but where nobody recognized her or her family. For Cecilia, their orders couldn't be taken soon enough, and once that happened, she burst loose. "I found Nikolai. They're starving him in the dungeons."